Best books on survival

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More BadgeBunny, more! Tell me some stuff to read. :)

ok ... I tend to want to learn skills and am a bit OCD so I want to be organized while I am at it! ;) So ... after I read the requisite fictional reading that GC had ... blah!!! After I read "The Patriot" and "One Second After" I decided that GC was absolutely out of his mind and told him that if he wanted to make any kind of impression on me that wouldn't result in me petitioning the court to have him committed he had better find some non-fictional reading ... LOL

But ... in actuality he had accomplished his goal and I ran off to google ... and I came across this guys blog http://www.amazon.com/Just-Case-Self-Sufficient-Unexpected-Happens/dp/1603420355/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300159421&sr=1-1 and book The Modern Survival Manual:Surviving the Economic Collapse

OK ... now THAT I can relate to ...

I started off with the LDS Manual LDS Manual pdf You can skip over the religious stuff (I read it just for the history behind their philosophy) and made a list of what I thought someone "bugging in" (cuz I AM NOT leaving without GC and he will be at work in most crises that I can come up with) needed to lay low and went to work learning what I needed to learn and gathering up what I needed to gather up.

As an extension of that I became re-interested in a lot of things my grandparents did just as a matter of course. My mother's parents did not have running water in the house or electricity until the late 60s, early 70s, when grandpa finally upgraded the dairy and put in those new-fangled electric milking machines. So ... I have a lot of books on specific skill sets, like canning, gardening, dehydrating, foraging, fermenting, gun smithing, small engine repair, reloading (but in all honestly those last 3 are why I have GC around! LOL) ... I can list my favorites of those if you want ...

But for good general information I don't think there is a better book than this one: Just in Case especially if you live "in town" and don't have a millon acres with a missle silo to "bug out" too ...

Emergency Preparedness and Survival Guide put out by Backwoods Home Magazine is pretty good too, especially if you live in a more rural area (translate to: don't have to deal with city code enforcement).

I occasionally check out Rawles' site but he is a bit "out there" for me. http://www.survivalblog.com/

Needless to say there are more survival forums out there than gun forums. Unfortunately they tend to be overrun with religious zealots, armchair commandos and kooks who have "been living the life since before God was born" ...

I tend to be a tad bit more mellow than those folks so I just lurk til I find what I need and then run off quickly before they notice me! lol

So ... in case you haven't noticed this is the hobby I have now that I don't work and can't shoot ... GC doesn't seem to mind ... I can't tell you the last time he said "do we have ...?" that I didn't say "As a matter of fact, yes we do!" ;) Nor can I remember the last time I paid full price for anything ... it is a lot easier to save money when you can wait until there is a sale and stock up, rather than going to the store every week for stuff you are always gonna need and paying full price. Those two things alone have made my being "one of those people" well worth it!

Sanjuancb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose". Sure he's a hippy, but he's not one of those government-dependent obnoxious hippies. He is the real deal and knows what it takes to survive on very little. He is also tremendously practical---none of this Bear Grylls jump from mountaintop-to-mountaintop and survive off of feces B.S.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Foxfire series are the best books for long term survival. There are basically the old methods Americans used for daily necessities 100 years or more ago.
Everything from home made medicinal remedies from herbs to making lye soap from ashes.

+1000 on the Foxfire books. I have a few survival manuals but the Foxfire series is the best for long term survival.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good distinction!

most folks think in terms of days of food/supplies.
my supplies are geared in terms of months with seeds, etc.

don't get me wrong... got cases of MRE too, but I've also got 50lb bags of rice, beans, caned goods and noodles to back it up.

buying in bulk has been a way of life for quite some time.
advantage is you pick when to buy ie when a deal comes up on something that's exactly what you want.

disadvantage is one gets in packrat mode and every crook and crany gets filled.
running three deep freezers, but mostly to support my German Shepards.

had to put down my 12yr old 90lb GSD last week... so keeping up with raw meat is not nearly as bad with one 45lb female GSD.

everyone needs a seed box like this
ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_seeds.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_seeds2.JPG

Are you talking "survival" or "self-sufficiency"??

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO it's worth it to forgo the "off the grid" SHTF scenarios and start unhooking from the grid some for your necessities.

Much like DR plans for IT... a backup plan isn't a backup plan unless you've tested it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom