Best screwdrivers for guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget quality. I want something that fits the screw head.
Unless you want to booger up your screws, you need both. Doesn't necessarily have to be a name-brand screwdriver, but does need to be made of quality steel, properly heat-treated. Not too hard, not too soft. Start with that, and you can grind your own.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wheelers are good
Enough for anyone
So far, I've really liked my Wheelers. Not terribly expensive, and the two sets I have (small set and the torque driver set) have the same bits, so if I find I need to grind one, I've got them, plus a half-ton or so of assorted apex points I picked up at work over the years.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube, for disassembling a S&W M10. The gentleman doing it is a S&W retired technician. He has one screwdriver for working on Smiths. It was modified by him, at his work, it's an older Proto, with a 5" long shank, that he ground down to fit the screws on a S&W, he hollow ground it and reduced the diameter of the shank. He says that gives greater visibility of the screws. Check it out, when you can I found it very informative when I needed to clean my old Victory model.
link please .. the best screw drivers are one's you mod if you cannot find a full shank driver that fits perfect. tips drivers are used as a last choice.

I'm always looking for vintage wood handled screwdrivers, where ever they pop up. got loads and loads of snap-on .. for some reason they never fit what I'm needing for gunsmith unless I've ground to fit.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The usual suspects for swappable tips have been mentioned, and those sets will serve most of your needs, but there is a lot to be said for having a something on hand to rework.

I keep a few mid-range conventional screwdrivers on hand to modify as needed for the odd duck that shows up. Pick up good mid-range screwdrivers at flea markets and garage sales and when they are cheep enough and put them in a box. A bit of care at the bench grinder will alter them to whatever is needed. Cheep drivers tend to be a bit soft, and not well suited for extra thin slots. Big ones with flats to handle a crescent wrench are nice for stock bolts.

I also hang onto worn out 1/4" hex bits for sheet rock screws and allen wrenches. They are nice to modify for a variety of tasks and the full 1/4" hex gives a bit more width to work with. A Dremel too with a cut off blade is nice for reworking those into all kinds of goofball drivers, like a fork for pulling the firing pin retainer on external hammered shotguns. You can also add a slot and braze in a coin to pull the screw in the bottom of the forearm on some 22's.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My toolbox is full of garage sale punches, chisels, screwdrivers and such. I made my front sight staking tool and my shell latch staking tools from old wrenches. If I need a tool for a single job, rather than buy the tool and eat the cost, I just make it. I have a ton of "custom" bent screwdrivers, notched screwdrivers etc.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My toolbox is full of garage sale punches, chisels, screwdrivers and such. I made my front sight staking tool and my shell latch staking tools from old wrenches. If I need a tool for a single job, rather than buy the tool and eat the cost, I just make it. I have a ton of "custom" bent screwdrivers, notched screwdrivers etc.
some of my highest grade tools have come from garage sales.
luck of the draw .. say someone dumping their American Airlines Electrical Engineer dad's tools for next to nothing. asked if I could purchase all of the remaining tools. still got portable tool boxes full of tools that I've not gotten to yet from that purchase.

that's where my Starrett pin punch set came from. loads of custom tools were made from that garage sale.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some of my highest grade tools have come from garage sales.
luck of the draw .. say someone dumping their American Airlines Electrical Engineer dad's tools for next to nothing. asked if I could purchase all of the remaining tools. still got portable tool boxes full of tools that I've not gotten to yet from that purchase.

that's where my Starrett pin punch set came from. loads of custom tools were made from that garage sale.
Give me a shout, I'll come help you go through them ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom