Big Tulsa Gun Show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to the state, would you mind sharing that law with me. I'm from Arizona and there, we weren't mandated to enforce ATF laws. Our didn't require us to check ID or anything for private sales.

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't like the idea of trying to card another american, I'm not the ATF and I don't want to do their crappy job.
Welcome to Ok and okshooters. You can’t sell a handgun to a resident of another state. ATF are at the show and could be posing as regular folks. It pays to be cautious.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to the state, would you mind sharing that law with me. I'm from Arizona and there, we weren't mandated to enforce ATF laws. Our didn't require us to check ID or anything for private sales.

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't like the idea of trying to card another american, I'm not the ATF and I don't want to do their crappy job.
Everyone really should read the SDA for themselves...

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/SDA_LAW_BOOK_NOVEMBER_2021.pdf
I don't think you are required to check ID, I believe (from memory) the SDA says you can't KNOWINGLY sell to a non-resident, felon, etc.

So if they happen to mention that they came down from Kansas (as a guy did to me once about a rifle I was selling), at that point you would be knowingly selling to a non-resident. If he doesn't say that, you can present a defense that you didn't and weren't required to check.

Acquittals are expensive though, so it's a good idea to avoid situations where you might be charged. When I sell to someone I don't know, I usually ask if there is any reason they are not qualified to buy a gun in Oklahoma. If they tell me they are qualified, I'm not required to verify it, and I've never asked for ID.

That's my understanding at least, but "Aries told me it's okay" won't hold up in court.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Illegal to sell or purchase a firearm to or from an out of state person, unless you use a FFL. I do not know what the Federal law number is but it is a law.
I have seen several suspicious out of staters trying to get people to sell them firearms. I would bet at least some of them are ATF or related.
I like my life the way it is, no reason to mess it up by breaking the law.
I do not agree with or like the laws, but I follow them.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you can buy a long gun out of state from an ffl. I ‘assume’ it’s legal from an individual? I’ve never done it so don’t really know.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Illegal to sell or purchase a firearm to or from an out of state person, unless you use a FFL. I do not know what the Federal law number is but it is a law.
I have seen several suspicious out of staters trying to get people to sell them firearms. I would bet at least some of them are ATF or related.
I like my life the way it is, no reason to mess it up by breaking the law.
I do not agree with or like the laws, but I follow them.
This is a good point that I overlooked... ATF enforces federal law, not state law.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe it is unless you sell it through an FFL. They are supposed to pick the gun up from an FFL in their state of residence.
I gave my dad a Mini 14 a few years back and had to ship from my FFL to his FFL. I asked if I could just take it to his FFL and transfer and it was an EMPHATIC no, as we live in different states.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I say this, there is a nice pawn/gun shop in bayfield CO. We have bought rifles there and gone right to the range.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave my dad a Mini 14 a few years back and had to ship from my FFL to his FFL. I asked if I could just take it to his FFL and transfer and it was an EMPHATIC no, as we live in different states.
The ironic thing is, and I checked this as best I could several years ago... you could have "loaned" it to him without going through the transfer and it's totally legal.

Hopalong49

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I'm looking at. I have a Shockwave with some upgrades (streamlight, laser saddle), but HAVE YET TO SHOOT IT.

I put an SB Tactical brace on it, but yeah, you know how that's going. I just don't even want to mess with it now, so I'm going to sell it and probably get the 590S.
NIB and for sale

Latest posts

Top Bottom