Bill of sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why would you back out?
I guess it depends on what personal information was being asked for. If it was just first and last name no biggy. I do think if this is part of a sale it should have been disclosed in the original ad. I understand the tendency to want to cover your butt when selling a firearm to a stranger. I just don't like surprises.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what personal information was being asked for. If it was just first and last name no biggy. I do think if this is part of a sale it should have been disclosed in the original ad. I understand the tendency to want to cover your butt when selling a firearm to a stranger. I just don't like surprises.
I ask for a bill of sale on guns that I purchased in my name, otherwise I don't. But I'm up front in the ad with it. It's short simple and sweet just like TurkeyRun posted. Long as there is a name on the paper I'm happy.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only ones that I do anything on are guns bought on my C&R license. Beyond that its cash and carry. I am not going to give relative strangers my info and dont expect them to either.

If you spring this on me at a FTF I would not be happy.

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't use a bill of sale . But I have always wondered what if I go to meet the guy and buy the gun . Then on my way home or sometime in the future get pulled over and the gun turns out to be stolen and used in a bad crime . Same vise versa. What if I sell the gun it's in my name and they use it in a crime and the coppers come beating on my door . I guess I would say I bought it at the flee market and ask the police to prove I stole it . Then I would probably go to jail.lol

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't use a bill of sale . But I have always wondered what if I go to meet the guy and buy the gun . Then on my way home or sometime in the future get pulled over and the gun turns out to be stolen and used in a bad crime . Same vise versa. What if I sell the gun it's in my name and they use it in a crime and the coppers come beating on my door . I guess I would say I bought it at the flee market and ask the police to prove I stole it . Then I would probably go to jail.lol

Go to this thread (http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?157857-Private-Handgun-Sale-Question/page2) and read what Mad Professor (post #17) and Weatherby (post # 20) posted. They had guns they sold/traded that were later used in a murder and in a robbery/shooting. Both were contacted by police, they gave what little info they had (no names or bills of sale) and then went on about their lives. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, buyer, upon my honor do hereby swear that this firearm will never be registered, surrendered, or neutered with gov't-approved low capacity magazines; and that rather than submit to said tyranny, that it will be used to resist the same to the best of my ability; and if circumstances should arise wherein I must decide between submission to illegitimate authority or death, that I will happily choose the latter. In consideration for receiving all right, title, and interest in this fine weapon from seller, buyer promises to pay the sum of $_______, and furthermore, to pour one towering skal of mead for seller when the parties shall meet in Valhalla to feast with the warriors forever; so help me Odin.

Actually I usually just go with cash and a handshake. :wink2:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I have asked to see proof of residency was if they were total newbies, or looked too young. Don't take any info, just want to make sure they are resident. I actually ask them to cover the info on their license other than their name and picture. I don't want to know, I wouldn't give out my info either. too easy for identity theft, not going to happen.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you ask for a bill of sale when buying/selling a refridgerator on Craigslist? Something at a garage sale? No of course not and one is not legally required or needed when buying selling a gun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom