Selling Guns Private Party - Tips for A Beginner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReactiveXR

Marksman
Reaction score
This will be my first foray into trying to sell some of my collection, and wondering what is you guys personal preferance on selling private party?

Do you just fill out a buyer to buyer bill of sale?

Or do you meet at a gunshop and transfer the firearm over with a background check?

How do you avoid accidentally selling to a felon if you forgo meeting at a gunshop and using their service to transfer a firearm?

Any tips would be much appreciate to this first timer here!

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

A BOS doesn't mean crap unless it is notarized anyway. Won't hurt for your personal records but lots of folks won't deal with it.

A FFL transfer is an unnecessary way to make someone else further enriched, but won't hurt. Again, lots of folks won't deal with meeting at an FFL.

Unless you "knowingly" sell to a felon (or out of stater) it is a non-issue.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well ... For starters I don't sell to anybody who doesn't have at least a "little bit" of history here. Or if I'm not sure I'll PM a couple of buddies here and see if they know anything about ya.

Back in the day I didn't mind travelling anywhere in the state to do a deal ... Me, Jackie and my convertible VW and whoever I was meeting up with had some great times. But then between shooting matches, working at H&H, posting here and Grumpy being a JBT there weren't too many people around the shooting community I didn't know, know of, or couldn't find out about from one of my buddies ...

The old man ?? Yeah ... See conditionzero's comment above ^^^^^ Lol

ReactiveXR

Marksman
Reaction score
It all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

A BOS doesn't mean crap unless it is notarized anyway. Won't hurt for your personal records but lots of folks won't deal with it.

A FFL transfer is an unnecessary way to make someone else further enriched, but won't hurt. Again, lots of folks won't deal with meeting at an FFL.

Unless you "knowingly" sell to a felon (or out of stater) it is a non-issue.
Okay! I understand the law a bit more clearly now! I appreciate the input and helping out. Definitely a bit more comfortable with a cash private sale now.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust your gut. If something feels weird, don't do it. Someone tries to hide their vehicle/license plate from you, wants to meet in a dark alley in the middle of the night, or wants you to meet with someone who isn't them to make the transaction immediately makes me turn and say no.

Don't sell to someone out of state unless you're sending to a known FFL. I won't even sell to someone with an out of state ID. I don't care if they live here and haven't gotten a new DL yet, I'm not that desperate to make a sale that I'm doing that sorta legwork.

Just ask if they're willing to show Drivers license. I don't usually even ask to see it during the meet unless I'm feeling suspicious, but stating that you need to see ID in your ad or in conversations leading up to the meet can help weed out the weirdoes before meeting.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

img_1_1693858060731.jpg

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the best way from all the responses. I appreciate it sir
I have had numerous people (4-5) who have seen an ad elsewhere here in OKlahoma who ARE NOT OKlahoma residents wanting to buy a pistol. They have been honest and said they do not have an OK drivers license, and we go no further after me telling them they need to be an OKlahoma resident.

Latest posts

Top Bottom