Black Kettle WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how good the fishing is a Dead Indian Lake (if it hasn't been renamed by now)?

I used to quail hunt out there and always wanted to go back in the summer and fish but never did.
Same here. It always looked like a great fishing spot but just never made it to try. Probably close to dry now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Would be nice to scout some areas but man that's a far trip. There is quit a bit of public land there was looking at BK cause the closeness to Arizona. But any advise would really help. Taking my daughter and grandson up also.
It's very broken up as you've probably noticed if looking at maps. It's crowded during April with turkey hunters as well. It would definitely be worth your time to come scout it out. I've been around it quite a bit, but never actually hunted it.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent many a day there and hunted it for lots of years.theres good and bad spots like everywhere else. Like someone else said getting away from others is good idea. But not really necessary I've shot some good bucks within 100 yards of the main roads.Couple of tips, look for a saddle over top of hills, for the most part it's open country and deer can see you moving for half mile. They use nearly every saddle to move from one drainage to the next. Plan to sit all day if there's one good tip that's it. I've literally sat in one spot from 2 hrs before daylight to when it was nearly too dark and had one of the best bucks I've shot ever stand up less than 100 yards away. other tip check the wind, seems natural right, but those deer will bed down on the downwind side of a terrace out of the wind and not move all day. Lots if not all of this was once farm land so a lot of it is terraced. Lots of other tips but take too long here. whitetail out there act a lot like mule deer you'll have better luck sitting where you can see a large area, or moving slowly just topping out on the ridges when you have cover and glassing the opposite hillside. Main tip! Watch out for drunks!!! Had a truck load of a hoes shooting at a doe that ran in front of me when I was fully clothed in Orange . probably six in back a pickup they sped off when they saw me raise my rifle to shoot back. Last draw was when my boy and I shot a buck about an hour before dark. Got it gutted out and decided to drag it out with a rope. Lucky we did cause dome drunk started shooting at it. When we yelled at him he stood up and fell over he was so drunk. Claimed he didn't see us....

joshuacarrifee35

Marksman
Reaction score
Man that's awesome advice it's greatly appreciated. I'm a glassing freak I sit in the mountains here in Arizona all day long and look miles for hours. So that part I'm really used to. So I was reading the regs. 400sq" of Blake orange so vest ,hat, and my marsupial blaze orange binocular chest pack should be enough? Thanks so much for the response

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vest and hat generally enough. I always used orange camo . Lots of scrub oak so it blends in well. Wish I had a dollar for every mile I've chased Turkey's or followed a bird dog across those hills. Had kinfolk all over out there. Dad was born and raised west of Cheyenne so he knew about everyone. Nearly all dead and gone now though.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how good the fishing is a Dead Indian Lake (if it hasn't been renamed by now)?

I used to quail hunt out there and always wanted to go back in the summer and fish but never did.
Want some fun fishing ? Grab a tube and hike into some of those ponds and lakes on black kettle!

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that's awesome advice it's greatly appreciated. I'm a glassing freak I sit in the mountains here in Arizona all day long and look miles for hours. So that part I'm really used to. So I was reading the regs. 400sq" of Blake orange so vest ,hat, and my marsupial blaze orange binocular chest pack should be enough? Thanks so much for the response
One other tip make sure your legal ! Black kettle is part of the Rita Blanco national forest. So it's patrolled by federal game rangers also and they dont cut you much slack. Your probably used to it but be prepared to pack out what you shoot. Parking is only in designated spots these days so it's possible to have a couple mile hike in some places and some of it pretty rough.

joshuacarrifee35

Marksman
Reaction score
Wish I new how to post some pictures on here. Here in Arizona we hike in about 2 to 3 miles in the mountains just came off a mule deer archery hunt in the mountains missed a really big buck so the terrain part I'm very well used to and these days with game and fish you really don't want to mess up I have a couple buddies in azgfd super cool guys until you ******** them.

I Moved to Oklahoma for a year lived in Edmond didn't hunt there but fished alot I Hefner lake,fort cobb,and some really good ponds around the community. Worked for Caliber Collision off Broadway lived there little over a year. But had to move back to Arizona and adopted my 3 grandsons. But I loved Oklahoma so gonna make it a thing on going back to do some hunting with my oldest grandson should be a blast. I really do appreciate all the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom