black powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bass Pro here in Tulsa carries Goex but you have to ask for it. The OKC store should have it. Plus they carry the substitutes such as Pyrodex. As Ty sez, Walmart should have it as well.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the triple seven substitue it cleans up much easier than black powder it also does leave as much residue. You should be able to buy it at walmart or any kind of shooting/hunting store.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there have been many online tests of corrosion in the barrel using BP vs some of the "substitutes".
BP has been shown to be less corosive than 777.
Google it and see.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find any black powder in any Wal-Marts. They do carry Pyrodex and Triple 7 though. If you're looking for ease of cleanup and performance try IMR White Hots. They perform better and cleanup easier than the other substitues.

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I've seen Walmart's pyrodex. I was looking for some more real BP though. It ignites better in a flintlock. Yeah, Bass Pro! I forgot about them. They have a lot of reloading supplies, and I googled them and they are supposed to carry BP 2F & 3F. I'd like some 4F pan powder though. I don't guess there's anyone in Norman that carries it.

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard of folks crushing a little powder for pan powder, like between a couple of spoons, but I'd be afraid to do that being as how BP can ignite from pressure and friction. Realistically though shooters "back in th' day" poured a little of the main charge powder into the pan when in a hurry. But I understand that fine lock powder decreases lock time by a smidgeon, and is a little better at keeping misfires at bay.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've heard of folks crushing a little powder for pan powder, like between a couple of spoons, but I'd be afraid to do that being as how BP can ignite from pressure and friction. Realistically though shooters "back in th' day" poured a little of the main charge powder into the pan when in a hurry. But I understand that fine lock powder decreases lock time by a smidgeon, and is a little better at keeping misfires at bay.

NO METAL!!!! Use a Mortar and Pedestal, and work slowly!! Other than that 3F will work in the pan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom