black powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porboy29

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a friends 50 cal with buckhorn 209 and it was the best bp sub ever. Shot as least 30 rounds with no cleaning. Good stuff. As soon as I can that is what I'm going to use.

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What difference does metal make? Micro-sparking with carbon granules? Catalyst? Type of metal must make a difference. But even with ceramic or glass pestle and motar - I think I'll pass on crushing BP. The older I get the more risk averse I get too :bigeye: At one time I was going to make some but decided that the amount needed wasn't worth the effort. A person can buy airfloat willow charcoal. Sulphur and saltpeter are easy to get too. There are websites that sell components whereby one can make their own fireworks. The hard part is the milling. A person can get a Harbour Freight tumbler (rubber lined drum) throw in a handfull of large lead balls with the damp powder, and let the "ball mill" run for a few days. I understand that the main reason folks fail at making BP is the milling isn't done right. Saltpeter has to be so well incorporated with the carbon that a particle isn't more than a few molecules wide before it comes in contact with oxidizer.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tack, What I was refering to was taking 3F(even though it will work in the priming pan) an slowly grinding small amounts down to use in the priming pan, not trying to make BP. Yes you always want to use items that are non-ferrous when working with exposed powders and or explosives!!

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course, and like I said I'll take a pass at grinding/crushing BP. The first part of my post was acknowledgment of yours. The later part of my post It was me alone talking about making BP as an alternative.
I suppose I'll just use 3F. If ever I need to ensure more positive ignition and decrease lock time I'll see about finer powder then. It seems no one sells 4F. A store is only allowed to have a small quantity on hand, and it appears no one wants to take up precious room with a product they'll sell very little of. I could order some, but with shipping and hazmat fee it would be $35 minimum depending on shipping.
The thought just occurred to me; the powder in firecrackers is pretty fine stuff . . .

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Of course, and like I said I'll take a pass at grinding/crushing BP. The first part of my post was acknowledgment of yours. The later part of my post It was me alone talking about making BP as an alternative.
I suppose I'll just use 3F. If ever I need to ensure more positive ignition and decrease lock time I'll see about finer powder then. It seems no one sells 4F. A store is only allowed to have a small quantity on hand, and it appears no one wants to take up precious room with a product they'll sell very little of. I could order some, but with shipping and hazmat fee it would be $35 minimum depending on shipping.
The thought just occurred to me; the powder in firecrackers is pretty fine stuff . . .

It has to do with hazmat codes, and the fact that BP is hazard classed as an explosive. You can get 4F at PowderInc in Arkansas. The only problem is that they will only ship minimum of 25lbs. They will let you mix and match for the 25lbs.

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I considered ordering some from "BACK CREEK GUN SHOP, INC". One pound or up to the limit. But still same darn $25.00 HAZMAT fee. Odd that it's a flat fee across such a large range of weights. Sounds like a tax. Sometime in the future I may order several assorted cans cans of powder from them, and I'll have them throw in some 4F too. Then it'll be worth it to me to pay the HAZMAT; definetly not for one lousy pound. But of course it depends on what wifey lets me do :bah: She wants me to finish flooring the house:grumble:

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Please don't even consider using firecracker powder. The flash type powders are extremely sensitive and dangerous in quantities larger than what you find in a standard firecracker. Blitz

tack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Messed with it a lot in my teens and twenties. Magnesium or aluminum powder and Potassium nitrate with a little sulfur. Me thinks commercial stuff uses Potassium perchlorate? I have no doubt it's sensitive. I have little doubt too that it's safe enough to handle in small quantities. Besides, the 50mg in a single black cat may be enough for the pan anyhow. I don't think I'll really try it anyway. Don't need the flash, just need fire.
I'd be considerin' this thread done. Thanks everyone for the info. I need to find out more about buckhorn 209 and IMR White Hots. Maybe I'm not done; how many different BP subs are out there nowadays anyway?

I'll just use tripple F in the pan until I either make some fine powder or buy some somewhere. Shoot, as cheap as Back Creek Gun Shop is compared to Bass Pro, it won't take very many cans of powder to make up for the HAZMAT fee. Maybe I can find another fellow or two to go in with me and buy a bunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom