Bobcat season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally! It opens in the morning and I am planning on going. Is anyone going calling this week. The area I will be hunting is public land but I almost always kill one the first day. I will see what happens.There are quite a few grey fox this year so I might settle for one of those first.

Scott

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I won't be doing anything but deer hunting until the season is closed, but I really did like calling in the one and only bobcat I've ever taken that way.

I knew a guy that would deer hunt until he thought the activity would slow down for the day at around 12:00 and then he'd get the predator call out and call in yotes and bobcats for a couple of hours... Then we would resume deer hunting that same stand in the evening. And yes, he killed deer after killing predators. The guy was hardcore and I think he still posts on OKbowhunter but I haven't been there in a while.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made one set this morning before work. I didn't do any good. I think it would have been better if I had more time. Right when I had to leave, I had 4 or 5 crows working the caller. That normally helps, but I had no more time. I'll try them again this evening.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow it got here faster than I thought...but I've been busy with school! I have a promising honey hole this year as the landowner says the bobcats are out like crazy! Thing is..I have to work around an elk season in a part of the county that doesn't have elk! I can't afford to pay the $$$ tag to hunt bobcat during elk season! lol

oldnslow1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested but I know nothing about hunting bobcat. How do you set up and call? Can I work with my tree stand or is this a hunt that must me done on the ground. Does anyone have a source for good information for a beginner?

Thanks,
oldnslow1

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can hunt from the ground or a tree stand. You can either use mouth calls or digital caller, with either you will want an exciting fast irratic call as cats seem to have a short attention span.

If you have ever hunted coyotes, its the same but more high pitched sounds that are at a faster pace. Bobcats are ALOT harder to spot than a trotting coyote since they seem to take their time and will sit and watch their prey.

Bobcats also don't have as good of a nose as coyotes and other animals do...they rely on eyesight alot.

Early morning or late evening is best, a cheap decoy is a turkey feather on some fishing string hung from a tree limb.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all about location on bobcats.If you can call coyotes you can call bobcats. You just need to forget about calling in the open like you do for coyotes. Almost any bird or rabbit sound will work.A decoy can sometimes help but if you are calling in an area where there is also coyotes forget the decoy. I have killed more bobcats that responded fast than I have slow,just one of the many myths out there about calling cats. It's not rocket science, you just need to call where the cats are.If you want to know anything specific let me know.

By the way, I didn't see anything this morning except deer.Should have been deer hunting I guess.

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent today chasing pheasant and quail but I'll be breaking out the .17 rem this weekend for sure. I'll let you know if I have any luck. One of my friends got a big bobcat this morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom