Body Armor In Your Prepping Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had never thought about adding armor to my prepping materials. Its easy to think that carrying a gun around is enough to deter people, but really if shtf then you can't assume you're the only one willing to shoot to provide for your family.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are the ones I bought:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/IBAIA0035B.aspx

2 total. Even at 7.6 lbs, they are pretty heavy, or at least they were at first. I've been wearing them as often as I can with a full loadout and it's getting easier. You still know they are there, no doubt about that. To be honest, I think it's a weight vs mobility game. Personally, I decided to drop down to running just a front plate for the extra mobility. I've considered getting a soft plate to run on my back, but I am on the fence.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive been looking at the "bullet proof" back pack sheilds for kids. They even have a large "blanket" type that has prepper possibilities.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had GC's vest on (just to see) ... MF'er is heavy, heavy, heavy ... In all honesty I'm not sure I could put it on and get to the end of the block and back ... I cannot imagine how he wears it every day for 9-11 hours, day in and day out. God bless our military men and women ...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Specifically ceramic lvl 3 plates? Several of the plates in the tests I linked to are Lvl 3, and stop M855.

It's kinda misleading. Level 3 does not guarantee you're protected against M855. You need level 4 to get that. There are some plates called level III+ that claim to protect against ss109/M855, but that is not an industry wide standard. What you get is plates that wont stop M2-AP preventing them from getting to Level IV.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, Lvl 3 isn't a guarantee, but several of those plates do in fact stop M855. The AMI plate stops a ridiculous amount of rounds, but will eventually fail. I believe lvl 4 only has to hold up for 1 hit of M2AP to get that rating. I'd rather have a plate that takes multiple hits from what I believe to be a more common round than a single round of M2AP.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of it may depend if you just have a plate in a carrier or a plate in addition to your vest. My vest(s) are level II then I have a 5x8 titanium plate also. The bigger plates suck for sitting, driving in a car, bending over to tie your shoes, etc. Not that I'm against them. I just wouldn't want to wear it all day, every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom