1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Bought a new Gerber Automatic - What is this?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SlugSlinger, Feb 28, 2019.

1. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    And so far, I'm a little disappointed. The blade had a little movement when locked, but I think I have that adjusted out.
    What I am following up with Gerber is this defect on the blade. To me it looks like a rough spot weld, but I don't understand why they would be welding on the blade after its ground.

I sent the pic to Gerber customer service last night and havn't heard back yet. I will follow up on this thread when I do hear back.

Thoughts?

IMG_2476.jpg

2. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Looks like an age spot or character flaw.. I got 2 Gerber fixed skinners with gut hook for cheap on Monday and their nice for the 13 bucks each shipped.. As is you'll always be able to identify it as yours, I'll assume it wasn't real expensive..

3. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I spoke with Gerber and they said to return the knife with the prepaid shipping label. They didn’t react when I suggested it was a rough spot weld. And acted like it wasn’t uncommon.

Cheap is relative. It’s the most expensive knife I’ve bought, but there are way more expensive knives out there.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Automatic/Covert-Auto-Tactical-Grey-Stonewash-Fine-Edge_30-001307

4. Defcon Shooter

Defcon Shooter Sharpshooter

Special Hen
    Col Rex Applegate. I once sat with him in a restaurant in Dallas Texas back in the early 90's or late 80's. He told me story's about WWII and OSS training. He and I differed on the role of aimed fire from close range pistols. However it was a most interesting evening.

SlugSlinger likes this.
  5. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Gerber used to be top of the line. Have they went down the profit rabbit hole?
    I have a Gerber from the early 80's as a presentation knife for service at the company I worked for.
    It doesn't get much pocket use with some really nice stones imbedded into the handle.

6. GunSlingingPlatypus

GunSlingingPlatypus Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I love my Gerber Propel Automatic! I carry it daily. I bought it last year after I lost my Gerber Covert Auto - Serrated at Incredible Pizza. I bought it in 2012 and carried it until I lost it at Incredible Pizza. That thing was durable!!

7. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Gerber appears to now be owned by Finnish company Fiskars. So yes, they are probably now more interested in profit than produts. At minimum, they don’t have enough resources in quality control. The blade is defective even if it’s just cosmetic, that is very poor QC. I certainly hope the replacement was inspected before it shipped.

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. O4L

O4L Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Gerber used to make a nice knife but not anymore IMHO.

Several years ago I ordered a Gerber POS and a Kershaw Blur. The Kershaw has been my EDC since then while the Gerber sits in the sock drawer.

dennishoddy likes this.