Bout that time again (for the do it yourself'ers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was looking for this video the other day just for a brush-up and thought I'd share it (couldn't find it on here - I know its here somewhere).

I've butchered up my own in the past with my Father in Law on hunts, but after I watched these vids a few times, we had a lot more proper cuts of meat and a lot less "stew chunks".

The guy is barely understandable do to the thick accent, but its worth a watch if you cut up your own deer (its a European Roe deer, but it works the same as a white tail).

Roe Deer Butchuring
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tudPGNL9LK0

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j1rsP0VRfw

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKNpzBe1e4

Here's his skinning vid (its good too for being able to properly use the meat hooks I've got - I always screwed this up before I watched this - makes it a lot easier):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZn3pjh4Ql4

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first couple of deer went to a processor as I didn't know how to do it. Finally got with a guy that worked in a butcher shop and he showed me how its done.

I'd never cleaned anything bigger than a rabbit when taking the first deer.
My thoughts were; what the heck am I gonna do now??
Thought about cleaning rabbits, and put the same field dressing technique to a deer and it worked.
Not so well the first time, but with every deer it improved.
10 minute job now.

My tips for field dressing deer:

Get some plastic gloves that are mid-elbow length. (can be bought at industrial safety places like Granger, welding shops, safety internet sites, etc.
Some people get grossed out doing the field dressing thing, and this will help.

Start at the chest with the deer on its back and make a cut to the breast bone about 2" long.

Stick your index and social finger into the cut and made a V with them.
Take the tip of your knife(must be razor sharp) between your fingers. While pulling up the skin with the "V", slide the knife just under the skin, all the way to the back legs.

Then take your knive or saw and split the breast bone from the sternum to the throat.

Push it apart and roll the deer to its side, and cut the diaphram away from the side to the back. Roll it to the other side and repeat.

Grab the windpipe around the neck and pull it away as far as possible.
Then cut the windpipe as high toward the head as possible.
Use it for a handle to pull all of the innards out of the deer onto the ground.

The Pee sack and BH will still be attached at the pelvis.

Three ways to seperate this.

First, use a knife and cut around the BH from the outside, and pull it out.

Second, I have a tool that can be bought that uses a stainless wire with rough edges to saw through the pelvic bone, and remove all of that.

Or,(I haven't tried this but it had extremely good reviews, is the plastic tool that one pushes into the BH from the outside, and turns it inside out.

I'm interested to see how anybody else does it.
Never too late to learn something new.:D

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, Thats the same way my dad taught me to dress a deer. Every year I see people checking in deer that they didnt split the brestbone open. Seems to me that would make it harder to get them cleaned out.

I like to make my cut where the ribs connect to the sternum. I don't need a saw or hatchet to open up the chest that way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, Thats the same way my dad taught me to dress a deer. Every year I see people checking in deer that they didnt split the brestbone open. Seems to me that would make it harder to get them cleaned out.

there is a difference in field dressing.

Y'all take note! If you get a monster buck that you want to get mounted, and you split it up to the neck, it will cost a whole lot more money to get it mounted.

If you get a buck to mount, stop at the sternum, or bottom of the rib cage.

Do what ever you have to do to clean the deer that way. Its tougher but not impossible.

The Taxidermist wants the deer with the front legs cut from behind, and a full chest for a full mount.

If the field dressing is screwed up, the taxidermist can get another cape for a substitue, but its expensive....

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Y'all take note! If you get a monster buck that you want to get mounted, and you split it up to the neck, it will cost a whole lot more money to get it mounted.

Do what ever you have to do to clean the deer that way. Its tougher but not impossible.

The Taxidermist wants the deer with the front legs cut from behind, and a full chest for a full mount.

If the field dressing is screwed up, the taxidermist can get another cape for a substitue, but its expensive....

I hope I will need this information in the near future.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Glad you mentioned about not splitting up the breast bone for possible mounting.

Personally I see no need to split it. Just roll up your sleeves to your elbows and stick both hands up inside the chest cavity and make the cut of the esophogus. Takes less time and is quite easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom