Brass Trimmers. . . your opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at brass trimmers. I have the Lee quick trim that came with my Challenger kit but have to get the caliber specific die for it. Watched some YouTube vids on it, eh looks decent.
Rifle 7 rem mag btw

What trimmer do you prefer and why?

DNO

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the lee trimmers I use them on most of my cartridges. For cartridges I trim a lot or when I make 300 blackout cases I use the Worlds Finest Trimmer, it is caliber specific somewhat and kinda expensive, but can do a lot of cases real fast.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For trimming normal quantities of up to a couple hundred I like the Lyman universal. It is pretty fast, has a self adjusting quick action chuck for different calibers so you don't need to have several collets and its accurate.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the lee case length gauges and cutter and lock stud in a drill.
I then chamfer and deburr in a separate step.

I also brush the necks out before they enter the sizing die and after I am finished prepping.
I get consistent seating pressures this way.

Buddy has a plug in case trimmer that is absolutely awesome and holds the case rock steady, he does 1000's of cases.
I just do a couple handfuls at a time.

I have found adjusting the die and or tweaking the die to minimally size the case and only push the shoulder back .0005" I end up
trimming much less.. .001" to .002" growth in case length is now what I usually get after firing and sizing .002" being the extreme high side on a hot load.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the RCBS trimmer, but I modified it with a solenoid, pancake air cylinder, and a foot switch to really speed things up. I can knock out 200 rounds of .223 in an hour easily.
I've got a video of the rig somewhere. I'll see if i can find it.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm using the Hornady trimmer. having it mounted to the bench and attaching it to a drill makes it easy and quick. Have yet to have it slip at all and it's very well built.

I started with the lee trimmer. Still use it for 30/30 since it's easy, but the case length guage tends to work free and changes the trim length.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom