Breaking: Active shooter in Texas mall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The BS excuses like no affordable housing are just that.
I completely agree. I hate to say this but one of my daughters took after their mother (we’re divorced) and has no idea how to handle money and does nothing but make excuses when they have to “borrow money” which I refuse to give. Between her and her husband they make around $180,000.00 a year and cry “poor me” all the time. It’s embarrassing and disgusts me. They have brand new cars….and I’m talking $50K-$75K car/truck. They both have brand new cell phones, brand new $1000 CCW pistols and bought my 18 month old granddaughter a stupid $500 battery powered car. Oh, and they just had to borrow $25K from my ex (who borrowed it from her husband’s uncle) for a down payment on the house they bought. Makes me sick and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it except not buy into their BS.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I completely agree. I hate to say this but one of my daughters took after their mother (we’re divorced) and has no idea how to handle money and does nothing but make excuses when they have to “borrow money” which I refuse to give. Between her and her husband they make around $180,000.00 a year and cry “poor me” all the time. It’s embarrassing and disgusts me. They have brand new cars….and I’m talking $50K-$75K car/truck. They both have brand new cell phones, brand new $1000 CCW pistols and bought my 18 month old granddaughter a stupid $500 battery powered car. Oh, and they just had to borrow $25K from my ex (who borrowed it from her husband’s uncle) for a down payment on the house they bought. Makes me sick and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it except not buy into their BS.
I’ve seen some nightmare situations but some people haven’t learned yet. Took me a while as well. All I can do now is what I can do myself and try to coach those who are ready to listen. I still struggle with contentment and things I want versus what I actually need. Debt is an epidemic in America and our own government is a prime example.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like someone bent on doing a 'mass' killing is going to care whether 'gun free zone' signs are correctly worded or whether it's against the law - sheez
No, like someone who'd like to keep their a$$ out of prison like myself because the law is different in TX in OK- sheez

I'm not an idiot, I know criminals don't follow the law lmao.....

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest reason is they haven’t been taught to get an education or vocation that will will get themselves a decent job. I grew up in a 3 bedroom 1 bath house with a family of 6. I joined USMC which remains an option for those who want to do something besides sit on their butts playing video games. Everywhere is hiring for those who want to work. The BS excuses like no affordable housing are just that.
- Not everyone can afford to attend college or a trade school, which is often not a very good fit anyway. I could not afford to attend college, and trade-schools [at the time] had few opening available so I entered the military instead. Fortunately I was reasonably intelligent, motivated, and in fair physical condition so the military turned out to be a good match for me. For many it is not, and in today's world, even being physically fit can be a challenge in itself.
- With rentals averaging (even in Oklahoma) around $1,200 + a month (1+1 or Efficiency) and typical wages for most service jobs hovering around $12-14/hr, many have little choice except to move back in with their parents.
- The real BS is the constant rhetoric from colleges and .gov that getting a high-level degree is the ONLY path to sustainability. Trade-schools have become extremely expensive now and the military has become ever more selective because of the high-tech that is now so prevalent in the services.
- I know several people that are working multiple jobs just to make ends meet. Not everyone that is struggling in today's economy is doing so because they "sit on their butt playing video games", are stupid, or lazy. It's not the same world you and I negotiated, where all it took was hard work and determination to own that business or home or wealth. Of course with your TWO retirement checks, paid-for (or almost paid-for) home, money investments, property, etc., I can understand how it would be difficult for you to relate to today's kids, most just starting out in a crap economy (recession & inflation).

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the hell is a white hispanic.

I’ve always wondered the same thing. 🥴

I think it goes back to the Uvalde Tx shooter who was hispanic, but the media called him white.
It was sarcasm as I read it.

Having worked with uniform crime reports when I worked at the OSBI, I can answer this question. Hispanic is an ethnicity based on one's language. Believe it or not, a Hispanic can be of any race, and I saw both designations of Black Hispanic and White Hispanic in the UCR reports.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth almost 20% of adult children (age 25-34) still live with or have moved back in with their parents, and 58% of young adults (age 18-24) still live with their parents. Major reason in BOTH categories is lack of affordable housing.
https://thehill.com/business/377718...g-with-their-parents-parents-are-not-pleased/https://news.prudential.com/58-youn...mpacting-their-parents-path-to-retirement.htm
For some i can understand staying home with parents and years and years ago it was normal for young adualts to live at home with the parents til they got married but it was and is common for farm kids to do this and help out with the larger farms and some are even married with kids of their own and still living with their parents but they are helping to pay their way. I dont have a problem with kids living at home aslong as they are helping pay their own way and get ahead in life but to sit around and do nothing or offer no support i draw the line.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i never went to college or trade school cause i was always working to pay the bills and living paycheck to paycheck and getting screwed when i bought my first house from the owner and because she up and decided she didnt want to do it after the first payment and foreclosed on me but keep a years worth of payments plus all the repairs i had done it ruin my credit to the point i couldnt afford another so after finding a desent job and stay with it for 30 1/2 years i was able to retire with some savings and still be able to pay bills and live modestly but im tight with my dollar.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
- Not everyone can afford to attend college or a trade school, which is often not a very good fit anyway. I could not afford to attend college, and trade-schools [at the time] had few opening available so I entered the military instead. Fortunately I was reasonably intelligent, motivated, and in fair physical condition so the military turned out to be a good match for me. For many it is not, and in today's world, even being physically fit can be a challenge in itself.
- With rentals averaging (even in Oklahoma) around $1,200 + a month (1+1 or Efficiency) and typical wages for most service jobs hovering around $12-14/hr, many have little choice except to move back in with their parents.
- The real BS is the constant rhetoric from colleges and .gov that getting a high-level degree is the ONLY path to sustainability. Trade-schools have become extremely expensive now and the military has become ever more selective because of the high-tech that is now so prevalent in the services.
- I know several people that are working multiple jobs just to make ends meet. Not everyone that is struggling in today's economy is doing so because they "sit on their butt playing video games", are stupid, or lazy. It's not the same world you and I negotiated, where all it took was hard work and determination to own that business or home or wealth. Of course with your TWO retirement checks, paid-for (or almost paid-for) home, money investments, property, etc., I can understand how it would be difficult for you to relate to today's kids, most just starting out in a crap economy (recession & inflation).
I agree partially. In today’s high school you can go to the votech for free and get a start on a career that pays well. I think it’s too easy to blame society for many people to try to make their own way. Some parents don’t instill a work ethic in their children and coddle them too much. Any 16 year kid who wants one can get a job. Sure it requires work instead of excuses and it’s not easy. At what point is a kid expected to leave home and make it on their own? What does it take in your opinion other than hard work and determination? Plenty of young people in todays world doing exactly that and making their own way in the world. Others are making excuses for their own failures and their parents are enabling them just like they have most of their childhood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom