Broken garage door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be more precise a broken garage door opener. Motor finally gave out. It's a 1985 Craftsman. It is a chain driven model. Was wanting to get some opinions either to go back with a chain or get one of those Genie models without a chain or even a good brand to replace it with. What say you OSA?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Avoid Overhead Door. Their "commercial grade" opener they installed had a failure of the remote board at two weeks, six months, and two years. Got rid of it for a one piece track Chamberlain belt drive from the local door company. It's been dependable last three years, time will tell how good it is.

My pops is at year 20 with his Genie screw drive opener. It opens incredibly fast and nearly silent. I would have bought one of those, but I traded my way into the Chamberlain.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Avoid Overhead Door. Their "commercial grade" opener they installed had a failure of the remote board at two weeks, six months, and two years. Got rid of it for a one piece track Chamberlain belt drive from the local door company. It's been dependable last three years, time will tell how good it is.

My pops is at year 20 with his Genie screw drive opener. It opens incredibly fast and nearly silent. I would have bought one of those, but I traded my way into the Chamberlain.
I’d go with the chamberlain belt (or its many derivatives) I had the genie screw drive, I loved it but it had a board blow up in 2 years. But I did like it it opened fast and quietly that’s no lie.....ha!

Last edited:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a motor from a Craftsman that is probably about the same vintage. Too bad you are so far away, you would be welcome to it of it would fit. Guy I got it from said it was working when it was removed.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a Chamberlain chain drive and no problems in 8 years. Keep any lubed well. My old house had Chamberlain and lasted about 20 yrs with 1 repaired circuit board. My son has Chamberlain screw drive and is very quiet. Chamberlain used to make Craftsman openers.

Last edited:

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 3 belt drives that I liked. Different houses. They never failed. Currently have a Craftsman from Lowe's and it is doing a good, quiet job. Battery backup may sound like an expensive gimmick until you really need the door to open when the power is off.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chain drive or belt drive, both work but I prefer the screw drive because you can open the door manually with the pull cord and then pop back the gizmo and it's start working from hat point as if you'd never messed with it. Chain drive...I'm not so sure, I haven't had the opportunity to test it like the screw drive. They do say one is quieter but they're both equally noisy in my opinion.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I have a Liftmaster system that has decided recently to lift the door as soon as it closes, sometimes 2-3 times before it will stay shut. I have attempted to adjust the “force” controls but I have not resolved it. Any ideas?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I have a Liftmaster system that has decided recently to lift the door as soon as it closes, sometimes 2-3 times before it will stay shut. I have attempted to adjust the “force” controls but I have not resolved it. Any ideas?
The motor is suspended if I remember right. If one of the torque springs is worn or broken, it will give the issues your talking about.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love simple and went with another chain drive when my opener died this year after a couple decades of service.
I still have the big all wood panel 16 foot single door and 2 coil springs.
I wanted the bare bones 1 remote and no fancy stuff.

Chamberlain 045ACT.
I put 2 in my rent house the year before and they both work great.. way quieter than the old chain drive.

Friend installed a screw drive and a chain drive in his house .. just testing the 2 side by side.
In 4 years he has replaced the plastic puck 2 times. That is what he called it .. It rides on that screw for the screw drive.
His door is opened and closed about 10 times a day.
Light single 8 foot doors.
Not that the weight really matters much as the springs if set right will remove the weight.

My door opener on the 16 foot in my house stated 1/2 HP equivalent.
Equivalent :)
I do not care it works and the one I had was same brand and 1/2 HP.

I taped the safety sensors together staring at each other and attached them on the ceiling next to the opener.
I hate those things.
Kind of like a cell phone..Not needed in my world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom