Broken Windshield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife just sent me a photo of a giant crack and pit the size of a quarter in her windshield as a result of a rock coming out of a semi bed as he travelled down I-35. Apparently it was a gravel truck from the local Dolese plant. She got photos of the truck, his tag and photos of the crack and pit.

It's large enough that the windshield will need to be replaced. it can't be repaired.

She nearly soiled her nickers and was pissed and scared as all get out.

This wasn't some road debris that was kicked up, it came off the truck and struck her car. Are they responsible or is there some law on the books that says motorists should be telepathic and know to stay away from semi's on the highway?

:mad:

IMG_0470.jpg

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you're gonna have a mighty time proving that the rock came from the Dolese truck. I've heard of a few different people going after trucking companies for the same type of thing. one was a truck hauling red paint that had a leaky drum that dribbled red all over a blue pickup. The hauling company had the disclaimer 'stay back 500 feet/Not responsible for damage' and sure enough - they were not.

I think your option to take it to court quickly exceeds the cost of the replacement glass.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have cheap or free access to legal help, it might be worth a letter. I tried and failed with another big company, but it just depends on how much trouble you want to go to.

The pictures, etc. may tip the scales. I think small claims court may be the way to go. They'll do what costs them least.

Good luck. I think I know exactly how you feel. It's more the principle of the thing. (and of course the money) but you will spend a lot of your valuable time if you pursue this.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have a "not responsible" policy. Tried the pics myself to no avail. You'll have to eat it. Sucks but that's the way it goes.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's car got a rock in the windshield years ago. We went directly to the asphalt comp. We showed them, explained where it happened,had the tag #.
They paid to replace it. Don't think that would ever happen again. Most have signs on their trucks to stay back. Good luck.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Thats what I thought the answer was going to be. Dang it, it just sucks. I don't know what this replacement will cost. If anyone has a reference for a windshield shop in the OKC/Edmond area, send 'em my way.

BMPregler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've often seen these "stay back" signs and thought if I was as far back as they say to be I wouldn't be able to read the sign. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've often seen these "stay back" signs and thought if I was as far back as they say to be I wouldn't be able to read the sign. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It's legal butt-covering. They could argue that once you read the sign, you should have dropped back 200 feet (or whatever the sign says).

Latest posts

Top Bottom