Broken Windshield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't just post a sign on your vehicle and state that you aren't responsible if your unsecured cargo damages their vehicle. Well, you can, but doing so does not make it fact.

Call Dolese, if they aren't cooperative, turn it over to your insurance company to pursue.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had the same problem a couple years ago. Rock broke windshield, immediately called the company, told them location, truck, etc...they were not at all interested in taking responsibility. Would cost more to pursue, than a new windshield. Probably would have cost them less to buy my windshield, too...:pms2:

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason for the signs is so anything coming from the truck will hit the road before it hits your vehicle. As long as it hits the road first the company is not responsible. If you can prove it came off the truck and hit your vehicle before it hit the driving surface they have to cover it because they are considered directly responsible. I used to handle all damage claims for a hauling company so I had to deal with this a lot. Luckily the company I worked for was a very honest company.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wife did call the company as was very politely told that she needed to contact the main office. She was given the number and name of the person to speak with. the gentleman she spoke with was apparently very apologetic, wanted to know which truck and where it happened so he could have the truck looked at. He seemed to think Dolese would pay for the replacement windshield, she just needed to contact the right person.

the chip is on the passenger side of the windshield, fairly low, but the spiderweb cracks are significant. I think with the cold snap we just had, the first time she runs the defroster for the windshield the crack will find it's way over into her field of vision.

We will give Dolese some time to make good. If it becomes too much of a hassle, we will turn it into insurance and let them duke it out. I'd like to see them do the right thing and repair the damage. It's a drop in the bucket for them.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But enough drops will fill up the bucket; yours isn't the first, nor will it be the last, cracked-windshield claim submitted by a motorist. I would imagine the company has a policy of deflecting claims as a rule, and perhaps satisfying only those which are drawn out.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't just post a sign on your vehicle and state that you aren't responsible if your unsecured cargo damages their vehicle. Well, you can, but doing so does not make it fact.

No kidding. How is that different than having a sign that says "stay clear, may change lanes unexpectedly"
I've always thought those signs were stupid. That would go over well at a busy intersection wouldn't it, everybody stopping a few hundred feet back from the truck.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, they are required to have their loads covered to prevent this... if her pictures show the truck with an uncovered load, I would assume that might make things much easier for her.

YMMV, IANAL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom