Browning Hi-Power Any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Browning Hi-Powers are classic sexy pistols. The only draw backs I can think of are a poor trigger in stock configuration and the tendancy to give some shooters hammer bite. Both issues are correctable, and neither are reasons not to own this fine pistol.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The HP is a neat gun. Those Browning labeled made after about 1995 are cast; not near the quality of those previous forged ones made in the 60's-80's.

After market parts are pretty scarce. I rigged one up with an extended thumb safety for match use. The gun is made with both a spur and a Commander-style round hammer. Chose the one that eliminates hammer bite in your particular hand. The HP is notorious for hammer bite.

The trigger pull gets much better with the magazine safety removed. Personally I would not remove it on a carry gun, for liability reasons.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several. Love them. Try to buy one made before the late 80's.

Also, if you luck out and run across one with Nazi markings (waffenmat stamps) becareful about firing it for two reasons:

1) might be worth big bucks

2) might be sabatoged

They pop up regularly on gunbroker and auctionarms. Also, guys have them at the show. Expect to pay between 600-800 for a good one.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My pops has one and it's one of the best shooting guns I've ever had my hands on. I've put more ammo through it than he has though. Bought it right around Desert Storm time frame for about $400 and it's still in near perfect condition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom