Buffalo River Canoeing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been asked to help plan a canoe trip in early June for a group of 6-10 Varsity Scouts and probably 3-4 adults. They are wanting to go to the Buffalo River in Arkansas. I have no experience on this river. I've heard it's a good river for beginners, which is what most of these boys are so that will be good. I guess what I need some advice on is a reputable, affordable outfitter to provide us with canoes. We don't have our own canoes and I don't particularly want to try to haul a trailer load of them from here to there and back. Anyone have any experience on the river? I'd also be willing to suggest a different river if anyone knows of a good spot where we can put in 40-50 miles.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You, and the scouts will love the Buffalo.
I've been on several 12 mile trips that take all day in that area. There are other excursions that can take 2-3 days if wanted.

If I remember right, its the first national river in the country, and has a 12 mile on either side of it that does not allow any development. There are black bears, elk, deer, and a host of other critters. The Buffalo itself is known as one of the premier smallmouth bass streams in the country.

We have always used Buffalo River Outfitters to get our canoes. Very professional group. http://www.buffaloriveroutfitters.com/

Once you spend time on the Buffalo, no other river is the same. Beautiful 300' bluffs with overhangs that one can canoe under, etc.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did this trip twice when I was a explore scout in the early 1990’s. It was a great trip we took cones from the boy scouts if I remember right. I cannot remember where we put in but did about 10 miles a day and took out on the white river. I guy by the name of Chuck Chadick form post 478 in Seminole was one of our scout master. I know he is still involved in scouts I saw him with the scout honor guard at a funnel of a friend a couple months ago.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Buffalo River is incredible! Its wide in places, so be prepared for portage if the water level is low. There are Elk and Black Bears in the area. I actually had an Elk walk up and sniff at my tent. The Bears visited as well, so follow the standard Bear proofing of your food and campsite.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Fished the Buffalo several times in late May when school let out for the year in the late 80's/early 90's and it was beautiful. Have a those boys take as many small crayfish as you can find and you'll have one of the best smallmouth fishing trips one could ask for. Sorry can't help you on your outfitter question though.

TERPSTER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Buffalo River is great. I have floated it at least a dozen times. As allready mentioned Buffalo River Outfitters is one we have used. The only thing that makes it suck a little bit is if the water is low, you will drag in some spots, not a deal breaker though. Great time, might do it myself again this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom