Home made water pump from IBC tote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are getting ready to have a prescribed burn on our hunting place sometime in December or January - depending on the weather. I'm a member of the Three Rivers Prescribed Burn Assoc out of Okemah which covers Okfuskee county. There's about 4-6" of leaf litter on the ground where we have the heaviest concentration of oaks. Want to get it burned down so nature can start producing.

My question is "have any of you either bought or built a spray rig that would get water 50-60-100 feet with a good pressure?" I'm very cautious on this prescribed burn even though there will be 'seasoned' fire people present. Plus, I could use for spot spraying or along a property line.

The IBC tote is one way that I'm leaning(see link). All of the material on the youtube video, not including tote, is about $600. CAVEAT: I would NOT call that a firefighting tank! The tote is 330 gallons. I'll pull on a 5'x8' trailer with our tractor. Figure after using it, I would offer up to the prescribed burn association to use, if wanted. They primarily use Stihl backpack leaf blowers to control fire direction.

Any other suggestions?
Waste of money and buy a Stihl backpack leaf blower instead?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the harbor freight 2 inch semi trash pump is a good pump and also look at the harbor freight fire nozzle and hose. they are fine also. note that the 2 inch pump will empty a tote in a hurry.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the harbor freight 2 inch semi trash pump is a good pump and also look at the harbor freight fire nozzle and hose. they are fine also. note that the 2 inch pump will empty a tote in a hurry.
I use these on my "fire trailer" but it carries 4ea 275gal totes on a 16ft tandem axle trailer and leaves room for a few guys to ride on to get to a different fire attack point if necessary.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not a bad setup the kid put together. Should be mobile though. I really do need to put something like this together and keep it filled during the "fire season". Would need to get a trailer to tow it on. I have an MQ 2" trash pump but it'd blow through that 330 gallon tote in about 2 minutes. The 1" or 1.5" setup would be about perfect for my needs.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a counter weight for my small tractor's 3-point using a 3-point carry all as a base.. It holds 6-80# concrete mix bags that eventually hardened.......but on top of the bags is a small platform. attached to the carry all. When burning, I'll put a 40 gallon spray rig tank with 12-volt pump on it.. I have lengthened the spray wand's hose tho' I rarely need the extra length as I can drive and spray at the same time. I wired the 12 volt pump into the light system ( with a plug for removal) of the tractor. I use this for control whenever burning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom