Bullet diameter info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to buy some jacketed 44cal bullets from Midway to reload. I looked at some old favorites and got confused.
The way I know it a jacketed bullet should be .429 and lead at .430. They are listing bullets I bought in the past in .429 now as .430. I emailed Midway and they insist that that is the diameter, no mistake, as listed by Remington.
Has there been a change in specs that I missed, or is Midway listing them with the wrong diameter?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to buy some jacketed 44cal bullets from Midway to reload. I looked at some old favorites and got confused.
The way I know it a jacketed bullet should be .429 and lead at .430. They are listing bullets I bought in the past in .429 now as .430. I emailed Midway and they insist that that is the diameter, no mistake, as listed by Remington.
Has there been a change in specs that I missed, or is Midway listing them with the wrong diameter?

.429 or .430 jacketed won't make much difference.
If they are .430 then you will want to work up the load again.

If you are going to load cast then I suggest slugging the cylinder throats and barrel first then if the throats are larger than barrel, load the biggest cast bullet that will chamber.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.429 or .430 jacketed won't make much difference.
If they are .430 then you will want to work up the load again.

If you are going to load cast then I suggest slugging the cylinder throats and barrel first then if the throats are larger than barrel, load the biggest cast bullet that will chamber.

I know that my 629 is a tackdriver with .429 bullets. I am going to look for that size only. I no longer use lead bullets.
I looked around a bit and I found a lot of .430 bullets. I didn't have to buy bullets of this caliber for a while and I was surprised. I suppose some pistols' bores can be so sloppy that going to a larger diameter would help.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom