Bullet weight for deer...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know most of you are going to say its overkill, but dead is dead! I am planning on using my .300 Win Mag to hunt deer this year. Where I will be hunting it will be more than likely be a 200 yard or less shot. I am using Nosler Accubonds. I am using middle of the road loads... probably around 2900 fps with the 180gr and around 2700 fps with 200gr.

180gr or 200gr?

Assuming both rounds have the same accuracy.

The 180gr should be traveling around 100-300 fps faster than the 200gr at the muzzle. This should cause it to expand better and quicker.

The 200gr will be going slower and may not open up alot, but would have extra energy to punch through shoulder bones.

Am I putting too much into this? There is only 20 grain difference..which isn't alot but yet it is. I know if I put the bullet where it should hit, then I will have a dead deer.

Thoughts? :uhh:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use whichever is more accurate. Neither should destroy a bunch of meat. The Accubond is a fairly tough bullet and won't dissipate all its energy inside the deer bruising more meat.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
The bullets you are wanting to use are for elk or moose. A deer won't have enough mass for the heavy bullet to expand properly and do its job. I suggest you use a 150 or 165 grain bullet. I use 165's in my 300 and have had reliable expansion past 300 yards.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 180 gr Accubonds on elk and they get knocked off their feet. A .300 is way too much power for a deer. I understand your desire though. IMO that is like using a 5" gun on a bass boat.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've killed quite a few deer with a 300 win mag and they never complained that I was using too much gun!

I do question the statement that a 180 grain bullet will be 100-300 fps faster than the 200 (unless you really download the 200), more like 50-100 fps faster if you actually run them across a chronograph.

I haven't found the Accubond to be all that tough, yes, it's tougher than the ballistic tip, but nothing like a Barnes X bullet. I don't think you will have a problem with them expanding, even the 200 grain bullet. You also don't need to worry about either one blowing through the shoulder bones on ANY deer!

I have used the 300 win mag on deer, elk, gemsbuck, kudu, zebra, etc and I have yet to see an animal "knocked off its feet", especially something the size of an elk!! I have seen them fall in their tracks, but, until they repeal the laws of physics, I don't expect to see an animal knocked off its feet by a bullet. There's that pesky little "equal and opposite reaction" thing, you know! :rotflmao:

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A 300 Winmag is too much gun??? I've shot quite a few deer with my 300 Weatherby mag. No tracking needed. I'd imagine a win mag would be about the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom