Buried WWII Spitfires to be recovered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have enjoyed this thread so much, you young ones have really done your research and I love it. Thank you.

Love the warbirds. Here's my view out of the nose of a B-17.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_P1010145.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not you, BB. A dude could be right in the middle of the action and hear quad radial motors and even if he doesn't get up to go outside to check the sky, his mind is elsewhere. You could bring him back to earth but it better be a hell of a show. :ooh2: :woohoo1:

Oh thank GOODNESS!! You wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff GC was telling me I was gonna have to do!!! :lookaroun :scratch: :cry3:

:ooh2::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't the Stuka have a siren on it for "shock effect" when dive bombing?

I think it did. Which is funny because Hollywood adds that effect to all bombers and crashing planes.

For a short time early in the war.

The Russians learned to direct their fire in the direction of the sound, so the German crews quickly lost the sirens.

The Germans also had a biplane when the war started, the Hs-123. When the 123’s radial engine hit a certain RPM, it sounded like loud gunfire. The sound so scared the Polish troops that they would scatter for cover, thinking they were getting shot all to sh*t, when it was just the engine. So the Germans learned to just hit that “sweet spot” when diving on the Poles, and it caused more chaos than the guns. Don’t know if that’s what inspired part of the Stuka’s siren concept, but it was effective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom