Buried WWII Spitfires to be recovered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flats, the Junkers Ju-88 was a twin-engined bomber/night fighter. The Junkers Ju-87 was a single-engine dive bomber/ground attack aircraft. Both were really cool planes, but vastly different from one another.

Yep. The 88 was supposed to replace the 87 as a dive bomber (the Germans initially called it the "Wonder Bomber"), but it failed at that job - couldn't pull off the same dive angles as the Ju87. (I'm going by memory here, so correct me if I'm wrong.) They ended up using it in the roles you mentioned above.

I love the "Stuka"; slow, heavy, easy target - but it got the job done time and again, and actually became quite a beast as a tank-buster on the Eastern Front. Love the "gull wing" configuration, something that puts the F4U Corsair as one of my favorite Allied planes.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ju88_mistel.jpg

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the "Stuka"; slow, heavy, easy target - but it got the job done time and again, and actually became quite a beast as a tank-buster on the Eastern Front. Love the "gull wing" configuration, something that puts the F4U Corsair as one of my favorite Allied planes.

What's amazing about the Stuka is how BIG it is.

Based on just how it looks, it's easy to think it's of comparable size to a Mustang or Spitfire. That's what I expected when I saw one for real at the RAF museum in London...but lo and behold, it's HUGE.

farm3.staticflickr.com_2795_4541526882_dbe4e2b1d4_z.jpg

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's amazing about the Stuka is how BIG it is.

Based on just how it looks, it's easy to think it's of comparable size to a Mustang or Spitfire. That's what I expected when I saw one for real at the RAF museum in London...but lo and behold, it's HUGE.

farm3.staticflickr.com_2795_4541526882_dbe4e2b1d4_z.jpg

I’ve not seen one in person, but knew it was pretty big – I’d love to check out some of the museums that have these kinds of warbirds. Europe is on our to-do list, and the sooner the better.

I did get to check out a Fw190 at a dusty museum in San Antonio; got behind the ropes and looked the cockpit and things over real good (and got scolded by an old man, but it was worth it). And like you and the size of the Ju 87, I was amazed at how small the 190 is; I always figured it to be larger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom