Bushmaster ACR at Sports World

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fondled one today at Sports World. Price was $2300ish. I just wondered if anyone has ever shot one. I also like the Rob Arms XCR. Just looking for some ideas for my epic, one day maybe I can get this, rifle.

The wife says she wants a new ring for our 10th anniversary. Maybe that's when I'll pounce on something. :rubhands:

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ill take a Sig556 for that type of price... Piston driven, accepts AR mags and factory forward rail, and compatible with standard AR stocks or i can do a side folder. Either that or just get a SCAR.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Havent been able to shoot one, but was given the "tour" of one. I really like the caliber chance aspect. I have been seriously considering getting one as soon as other desires have been taken care of.

warpusher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did get to see this rifle...my observations.

The rifle is heavy! I know where the Sig 556 gets its heft...but a gun with aluminum and polymer construction shouldn't be that heavy.

The SCAR is easily 1-1.5 lbs lighter.

The ACR uses a standard AR barrel (from what I could see) and it looks like an AR bolt. The SCAR's bolt in comparasion is similiar in design, but bigger...the locking lugs look thicker, as does the extractor.

The ACR non folding stock stinks. The ACR's stock adjustable cheekcomb was a better design than the SCAR.

The ACR has a strange selector switch...it is big in size, but has a small lever...making it kinda awkward to use. The Mag catch is similiar in design and layout to an FAL.

The ACR's cocking knob is ambidextrous and located about midway up the rail (comes on the left side). It is angled slightly downward and about the size of an MP5 knob. It had a "too small" feel to it.

Sights were Magpul MBUS.

For the cost...I'd get the SCAR....I already have several other piston drive 5.56's (MSAR, FS2k, AR180B, Mini-14)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did get to see this rifle...my observations.

The rifle is heavy! I know where the Sig 556 gets its heft...but a gun with aluminum and polymer construction shouldn't be that heavy.

The SCAR is easily 1-1.5 lbs lighter.

The ACR uses a standard AR barrel (from what I could see) and it looks like an AR bolt. The SCAR's bolt in comparasion is similiar in design, but bigger...the locking lugs look thicker, as does the extractor.

The ACR non folding stock stinks. The ACR's stock adjustable cheekcomb was a better design than the SCAR.

The ACR has a strange selector switch...it is big in size, but has a small lever...making it kinda awkward to use. The Mag catch is similiar in design and layout to an FAL.

The ACR's cocking knob is ambidextrous and located about midway up the rail (comes on the left side). It is angled slightly downward and about the size of an MP5 knob. It had a "too small" feel to it.

Sights were Magpul MBUS.

For the cost...I'd get the SCAR....I already have several other piston drive 5.56's (MSAR, FS2k, AR180B, Mini-14)

Hold up there. How long has the SCAR been available for 3rd parties to manufacture parts for it? I would imagine that once the ACR sees some sales, Magpul will fire up the old accessory engine.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like an overpriced XCR to me...either way, Hitler is not happy about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0Pu-rvFjs

If I read correctly, and I know how reliable third party reports are so if anyone can corroborate this then please do, then the ACR (originally the MASADA) was designed by MAGPUL to be an affordable, modular weapon system that was intended to be priced at around $1500...leave it to bushwhacker or bushhampster or whatever to screw the pooch on this one just like they did the LAR8. Hopefully everyone will learn now that you NEVER EVER EVER give a good idea to Bushmaster because they will find a way to screw it up! Buy the XCR and save $800, unless of course you were planning on buying the enhanced ACR in which case you will have saved $1500 :censored:

Incase you haven't heard of the XCR, here is it: http://robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlstd/index.aspx

(Disclaimer: No offense is intended if you own and or like bushmaster, this is not personally intended to hurt/offend/and/or upset anyone. I know its not politically correct to point out when someone screws up, especially when its a big screwup, and really especially when its the second big screwup in a row for the same person/company. I truly hope that this forum post in no way upset/perturbed/distrured or in any other way bugged you. In the event of offense/upset/perterbed/disturbed/hurt there will not be a retraction/apology posted...this disclaimer should cover it...)

(Disclaimer Part Deux: I in no way support and/or endorse Hitler...its just a really funny video...)

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you going to add to it? The ACR sets in a chassis system can't change the grip out or put a Magpul UBR on it? Maybe a flash hider and a larger charging handle (the ACR one looks tiny) You can't really add a rail system unless you buy the Enhanced version that already has one. If it was around the 1500.00 that they projected way back when I first saw the thing I'd be on the other side of the fence, but it's just way over priced for what it is... If I wanted a 5.56 platform, gas piston setup the XCR or Sig 556 is cheaper. You can get XCR's in a assortment of calibers. The Sig I can use AR stocks and have a nice solid rail system. SCAR looks better build and though haven't handled a ACR it reminds me of Starship Troopers and a Mini-14 put in a bullpup chassis. Atleast that had a pump shotgun under mount. Don't get me wrong I think magpul has some great stuff not a single AR I own doesn't have something magpul, hell I have a shelf full of PMags. I just think 2500.00 is over priced for what it is. I can build a nice piston driven AR upper with a mega machine side-charger a Young Mfg bolt and have tons of things hanging off it for 2500.00. Plus it will go on any AR lower. I guess I just need to handle and shoot one and maybe it will do something for me, but doubtful.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a nice milled AK, I love it, but the ergonomics are trash. I like the ergo's of the ar-15, but am a fan of the piston. In comes the XCR. It was my first choice for a concept type rifle. I only started to consider the ACR after handling one in the store. The Acr is a bit more expensive but does come with the buis. XCR does not. Not a huge deal at all but still one more expense to add in with the XCR. I like the caliber change aspect of the XCR/ACR. The SCAR does not have this as far as I know. I prefer the 7.62x39 round to 5.56. The XCR has this caliber already, who knows when the ACR will have it, but I am sure it is in the works. As far as attachments go I am a minimalist. I really like Iron sights, but may one day attach an Eotech type sight for giggles. No vfg's or lights or lasers. Money is always a concern, but I am not opposed to spending the dough on something that will be the best rifle for me. I am different than most on my rifle selections. Also I only feel that I need one defensive carbine in my collection, one carry pistol, one shotgun, and one bolt rifle. I try to be a minimalist in my collection as well.

I appreciate the feedback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom