Buying a Toyota Tacoma...Need recommendations for dealership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder what the whole gulf states thing was when i was searching for vehicles. I must say that toyota's website is horrible. It used to allow you to build a truck and now is some bs that only lets you pick a color and then the search function does not work.

Thanks for the info

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of great info. Thank you very much. It wont be till the 20th that I can get the ball rolling due to work and a hunting trip, but I plan to use all this info......thats why I love OSA

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shop out of state for the best deal.

I helped a few people here a couple months back that were looking for Tacoma's. I bought mine at Hendrick Toyota in Meriam Kansas. Was worth the drive for the price I paid.

Gulf States is a middle man between Toyota and the dealership in state. The dealers are contractually obligated to purchase through GS. GS buys the trucks from Toyota, puts things like window tint, running boards, pin stripes etc on them, then mark them way up and sell them to the dealers. Dealer invoice in the state of OK will always be higher than it is in neighboring states based on this.

If you're willing to drive a bit, it's worth shopping neighboring states. I ended up with more packages and features, for less money, by driving ~300 miles to get it.

Again, Just my opinion. Feel free to PM if you want to know what I paid for mine, brand new, about 4 months ago.

Edit: Congrats on the decision to buy a Tacoma, though. Very reliable truck. It's my second now. Sold the first one and it was a huge mistake. I plan on driving the one I just bought for as long as she'll go. For any information you could ever want about a Tacoma, including mods/DIY walkthroughs/FAQs/Troubleshooting etc, you should check out Tacomaworld.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image-982737131.jpg

image-411660417.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shop out of state for the best deal.

I helped a few people here a couple months back that were looking for Tacoma's. I bought mine at Hendrick Toyota in Meriam Kansas. Was worth the drive for the price I paid.

Gulf States is a middle man between Toyota and the dealership in state. The dealers are contractually obligated to purchase through GS. GS buys the trucks from Toyota, puts things like window tint, running boards, pin stripes etc on them, then mark them way up and sell them to the dealers. Dealer invoice in the state of OK will always be higher than it is in neighboring states based on this.

If you're willing to drive a bit, it's worth shopping neighboring states. I ended up with more packages and features, for less money, by driving ~300 miles to get it.

Again, Just my opinion. Feel free to PM if you want to know what I paid for mine, brand new, about 4 months ago.

Edit: Congrats on the decision to buy a Tacoma, though. Very reliable truck. It's my second now. Sold the first one and it was a huge mistake. I plan on driving the one I just bought for as long as she'll go. For any information you could ever want about a Tacoma, including mods/DIY walkthroughs/FAQs/Troubleshooting etc, you should check out Tacomaworld.

I was one of those guys Joeh talked into buying new over used (and from KS) - I went to Hendrick up in KS and drove home in a '13 Double-Cab TRD Sport and I've honestly never been happier.

Their prices are hard to beat, but if you're going to buy new, I'd almost wait until Toyota-thon near the end of the year. That seems to be one of the only times you can get any incentive cash-back on these trucks (they sell themselves and hold their value ridiculously well).

I've got nearly 15k miles on mine in around 4 months and am driving mine like crazy (should settle that down now that we're through vacation and done with the two big trips we took ours on).

I don't plan on ever selling mine and my son is already asking for a Gen1 Tacoma for his first truck (he's 13).

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my last new Tacoma in Independence KS. I literally saved 2k on a identically equipped truck. Well worth the drive!

I point everyone that asks to a non GulfStates Toyota dealership, slightly different standard features on some models and usually few "dealer installed options"

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check online with Fletcher Toyota in Joplin. We made a deal there on our 09 Rav4 then drove up and picked it up. Would do it all over again. No fuss no haggle. They came down $3,300 off the sticker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom