Buying my first deer rifle tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just trying to get some opinions on caliber. I'm leaning towards the 30-06. Area's I go hunting I want something that I can shoot out to 400 yards (don't ever see shooting beyond that. Besides the 30-06, I've heard alot about the 7mm-08, and 25-06. Recoil is not a big deal to me, but if you could get similar performance with less recoil, then that might be something to consider. I do not reload however, so for the time being I will be restricted to factory loads. If anybody's got history with the three and want to give me some advice I am all ears.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to confuse things but have you considered .270? It will bring down anything that I can think of in North America, less recoil(may help when you get older), flat shooting, availability of ammo.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
i have both the 25-06 and the 30-06. the 25-06 is a little flatter shooting with less recoil. i use the 25-06 in more open country with less brush . the 30-06 is really one of the best all around calibers a person can get. it has a much larger range of bullet weights. you can go from less than 100 grain all the way up to over 200 grain. the 25-06 is a little limited on bullet weights. all i've been able to find is from 75 grain up to 120 grain. the 308 will carry the same weights as the 30-06. just remember and find a gun that is comfortable to shoot. any caliber will kill a whitetail deer.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gun writer Craig Boddington stated that if he had one rifle it would e chambered for 30-06. It does recoil more than some other calibers and it's a little less flat shooting than a .270...but it ain't bad.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have all 3 calibers(and more). As a first, id go with a .270.

Since thats not a choice, 30-06. the other 2 are good tho and about the only real difference is felt recoil.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-06 will take about any game in North America. A 150 gr Federal Fusion bullet will give you excellent results. When looking at rifles, unless you have already decided on a specific model.. look at the Savages... they are good rifles for the money. I have a Savage 111 30-06 that I'm very happy with. But with Savage.. stay away from the Axis models... it is their low end rifle. You can buy the Axis model at Walmart.

If you aren't in a big hurry, places like Cheaper Than Dirt & Buds will offer some pretty good deals on rifles around Thanksgivng... the Black Friday sale.

Last edited:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you don't want to reload and yet want to reach out to 400 - I would recommend 308 Win from mere accuracy point of view: it will be a lot easier to find factory load that will be satisfactory at that distance, plus it will be easier to find an accurate factory rifle in 308.

7mm-08 is a great cartridge - but factory loads might be finicky, and generally loaded in bullet to light for the bore (140gn).

30-06 and it's off-springs - with modern bullets, I don't see a need for so much case for such a small bore.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the '06 is described as the best all around caliber....and it is....but since we dont have any grizzly bears around here we dont need that much gun...the 25-06 is top of the list for long range---from prairie dogs to elk...270 would be good to....actually all the calibers mentioned will serve you well...spend a little xtra time shopping and find one that fits you

Latest posts

Top Bottom