California man to prove Saturday that the earth is flat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not just drive to the edge and take a pic?

Doesn't work. I've been to many edges in my life and taken pictures. But, I keep finding that there is more in front of me so I have to go around and keep going to the next "edge."

Family members don't understand my fascination with being on the edge of a dropoff taking pictures. However, as I've aged a bit and gained weight, I don't get quite so close to the edges anymore. Family is just glad my insurance is paid up.

Oh...my latest "edge" view.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No; the force of gravity decreases in proportion to the square of the distance between two masses.

Ya, thats what I meant to say.

There's a simple formula for calculating the force of gravitational attraction between two objects where the mass of both is known as well as the distance between them.

1fe83eb599546915c9fc39ef6f25ee9221b05288

G is the gravitational constant and I forget what it is. Then two 'm's' are the masses (weight) of the objects and 'r' is the distance between the centers of the objects. It looks more complicated then it is, especially in these days of electronic calculators. When I was in college we used slide rules. All we had to do was a bunch of cancelling out and then it was a simple matter of arithmetic.

I used to amuse myself by calculating the force of attraction between me and various co-eds.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
G=6.67408 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2. Everything else should be in metric units (kg and meters; force will be in Newtons).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom