Camera discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Lens quality and lighting are the two biggest factors to getting a good picture, as far as equipment goes.

But that's as far as it goes. Dropping a wad of $$$ won't automatically make you a good photographer.

That Canon SX40 is a good camera, and I like that it has the external flash mount. 12.1 mp is plenty for pretty much anything most people will ever need.

If it were me... and I didn't need video, then the used Rebel XT for $199 at bhphoto is something I'd be seriously considering. Add a lens, and a flash, and you can get whatever quality pics you want.

From what you describe, you want macro capability (detail, ie S/Ns), and telephoto (long range, ie from fenceline).

That will mean at minimum two lenses. If you build a light box (perplexed seems good at that), you could get away without the external flash at first. For general fun, the Rebel has a built in flash.

Now, you're looking at ~$200 each lens (on the cheap); for example this Macro for $200 and this Telephoto for $175.

So you're looking at $600 easy to get into an SLR setup to do what you want. And that still doesn't do video, and only has 8 mp.

That SX40 is looking pretty nice at $399. 35x zoom, macro mode, 12.1mp, shoots video, and still has the flash hotshoe.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lens quality and lighting are the two biggest factors to getting a good picture, as far as equipment goes.

But that's as far as it goes. Dropping a wad of $$$ won't automatically make you a good photographer.

That Canon SX40 is a good camera, and I like that it has the external flash mount. 12.1 mp is plenty for pretty much anything most people will ever need.

If it were me... and I didn't need video, then the used Rebel XT for $199 at bhphoto is something I'd be seriously considering. Add a lens, and a flash, and you can get whatever quality pics you want.

From what you describe, you want macro capability (detail, ie S/Ns), and telephoto (long range, ie from fenceline).

That will mean at minimum two lenses. If you build a light box (perplexed seems good at that), you could get away without the external flash at first. For general fun, the Rebel has a built in flash.

Now, you're looking at ~$200 each lens (on the cheap); for example this Macro for $200 and this Telephoto for $175.

So you're looking at $600 easy to get into an SLR setup to do what you want. And that still doesn't do video, and only has 8 mp.

That SX40 is looking pretty nice at $399. 35x zoom, macro mode, 12.1mp, shoots video, and still has the flash hotshoe.

This would be a good setup. I'm somewhat familiar with the Rebel line since I've used them before. I very well may go the used route on a DSLR.

Saw this on Deal time news. Pros\Cons? http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.h...liate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_552179

J

Jckellison

I've had a lot of great pics come out of my Panasonic Lumix full size superzoom series. The lens is fantastic, made by lice (not a name that's just licensed) but the camera itself has a huge sensor in it. While it shoots fantastic in low light, indoors, and outdoors... It doesn't have spectacular quality above 400 iso if you're not outdoors. (for fast action/sports shot)

Before you drop a huge wad of cash, do the research on sensor size. Sony's new super compact DSLR series also have these huge sensors, which is why they're awesome cameras too.

When all else fails, hit the pawn shops for a Nikon SLR 35mm. Nothing like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom