Can I take a suppressor to TX without doing paperwork?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas is not the problem. Federal law (ATF) laws require you to get permission to move your suppressor. Go on ATF website and download form for class 3 stuff, suppressors treated the same as machine guns, and make sure you carry that paperwork with you all the time you have that suppressor in your possession.
Incorrect. Lawful interstate transport of suppressors is fine without permission as long as you aren’t violating the laws in the state your are visiting.

You can take a can with you to Texas without permission.

Caliber 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Incorrect. Lawful interstate transport of suppressors is fine without permission as long as you aren’t violating the laws in the state your are visiting.

You can take a can with you to Texas without permission.
Perhaps you are right, but as I read the law a suppressor is a class 3 device and when you tranport a class 3 device from one location to another you need to fill out an ATF form, I think it is 5520, I may be wrong, but if you know better let me know where you get your guidance.

Respectfully
Caliber 1

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps you are right, but as I read the law a suppressor is a class 3 device and when you tranport a class 3 device from one location to another you need to fill out an ATF form, I think it is 5520, I may be wrong, but if you know better let me know where you get your guidance.

Respectfully
Caliber 1
Silencers - Only for permanent moves, not out and back.

Caliber 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Silencers - Only for permanent moves, not out and back.
Apparently you are correct, the form I was referring too is 5320 something and only refers to destructive devices, machine guns and short barrelled rifles. Glad you checked me on that, when dealing with LE I’ve learned in my 83 years to be extra careful and double check when it comes to my class 3 stuff. Thanks again. This is a great thread.
Caliber 1

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Respectfully
Caliber 1
rickm posted it in the second post in this thread. It’s easy to miss though. Last sentence. Silencers don’t apply…as long as they are legal in the jurisdiction you are taking it to/through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom