Can somebody explain to me how the USSA "Training Group" works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something about the Training Groups, but if I were to sign up for TG only for three years it would cost me $1440 over the three year period. There are only handgun I, II, and III classes, so when finished with just 4.5 hours of training I would pretty much be done at that point and still paying $40 monthly. I would probably need to get going with a rifle and/or shotgun classes to get any value.

Are all the Handgun X classes the same or are there multiple modules with it?

If the website describes what the TG classes cover, I can't find it. There doesn't seem to be any descriptions (e.g. what is "combatives" ?).

For example, Handgun 210 (which I've already taken) is approximately 16 hours of training and the three TG handgun classes seem to be no more than 4.5 hours. What's covered? What's not?

USSA -> Please hire a new website designer.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will tell you what I have experienced. I called and talked with Steve earlier this year. He offered to let me join a class for the day and shoot the range for free. I went to a handgun course that had 3 other people in it, the training was first class and the range was even better. I as well have access to some land but the diversity of ranges at USSA has convinced me I was looking for more than my buddy's land had to offer. I really can't tell you what the best choice for taking one or two classes a year would be. I signed the family up for trigger time (unlimited range time with full access) and adding training groups would have only added 20 bucks a month. I decided I wouldn't really take advantage of all the training so I decided not to add that option.

One thing you need to decide is what your time is worth. The training group classes are shorter in length (1.5 hours) compared to 4 to 8 hours. If you prefer a smaller and shorter class, the training group may be your best option. If your time is valuable and you just want to attend once or twice a year, buying the full course may be your best option. Either way for one or two classes it would probably be the same, some classes run about 400 dollars or more and unlimited runs 600 a year with a one year contract.

So, I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to spend at the range. I would say the unlimited would be the "best bang for the buck" if time wasn't an issue. Either way I hope you at least try it out. Do you happen to know Sam Yeoman up in Big Cabin?

That was informative. Thank you.

BTW, one of the guys here at work said he's paying around $40 a month for a 2 yr contract.
I'm not sure what that included.

john.beck49

Marksman
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something about the Training Groups, but if I were to sign up for TG only for three years it would cost me $1440 over the three year period. There are only handgun I, II, and III classes, so when finished with just 4.5 hours of training I would pretty much be done at that point and still paying $40 monthly. I would probably need to get going with a rifle and/or shotgun classes to get any value.

Are all the Handgun X classes the same or are there multiple modules with it?

If the website describes what the TG classes cover, I can't find it. There doesn't seem to be any descriptions (e.g. what is "combatives" ?).

For example, Handgun 210 (which I've already taken) is approximately 16 hours of training and the three TG handgun classes seem to be no more than 4.5 hours. What's covered? What's not?

USSA -> Please hire a new website designer.

That was my thinking as well. I couldn't see the benefit after I went through the first set of classes. I signed up for the 3yr trigger time and knew after the first 6 months I would be done with the TG and still have 2.5yrs to pay for it. Maybe it's my fault for not asking more questions, but I got too mesmerized shooting steel for the first time to really care about training groups. I would be curious to know the answers to your questions as well...

And thanks for the "welcome"... :)

dukhunter20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way that I have done it in the past is just monthly payments. You can un-enroll from training group if you feel like you are not getting what you want out of it, or just don't have enough time. I am in between training group enrollments now, and may hop back into it if my schedule eases up. For 3 year contracts, it is $20 a month on top of normal contract (I believe), way worth it even if you have to miss a month. Steve and John's ability to work with anyone, at any level, really gives the student the opportunity to get what they want out of the training. I would suggest it to anyone thinking of doing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom