Canton Lake may have a fish kill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7:00PM tonight on OETA is a story on the next water release for OKC that could or will set the stage for a summer fish kill on Canton Lake. If Canton lake watershed does not get sufficient rain to refill the lake then OKC wil be setting Canton up for the kill. This final water release will stop the Walleye Rodeo, no water to launch your boat, and bank fishing only. The tourism will stop and financially impact Canton lake area in a big way. Call all your OKC friends and tell them to watch it as the City is now on water rationing until further notice.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC will be calling for the water within 2 weeks to 1 months time. 30,000 acre feet of water (7.5fow) will come down the canadian river into Hefner and possibly Overholser. One half of this (15,000 acre feet) will be lost to wet the river bed. Hefner loses 1,000 acre feet of water each week due to evaporation and water usage. Okla City will therefore have 15 weeks of additional water. When this water is gone then 200,000 households in NW Okla will be w/o water. OKC has always banked on Canton water and now the bank will be dry. There is no contingency plan except odd even watering which should have been started last year not now when it is too late. OKC should ban all outdoor watering and urge everyone to conserve the water OR dont and see what happens in July.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other lakes are in danger. Lone Chimmney that supplies water to Pawnee, Morrison, etc is only 4' deep. Warm weather, or extremely cold weather will kill the fish, making the water unusable.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AMEN to that Bassin, but I doubt that OKC will allow the tourism money to stop flowing even though the citizens are running out of water. This is a very serious situation and City of OKC does not have a solution. If the spring rains come and the state has sufficient runoff to refill the lakes then all of this will go away and everyone will be happy. The long range forecast for Okla is unusually low rainfall. Everyone needs to do their part. I am not a doom and gloom type of guy, but if we do not get pro active alot of people are going to be w/o water.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of tourism, let us not forget about the "World Class" White Water Kayaking Center that is to be built in the area of the "Boathouses", downtown OKC.

I have not heard much about it lately but I am sure that that the lack of current news articles about it and the drought headlines are purely coincidental.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in okc and I do not water outside during the summer/ever. For one it raises my water bill over $100 a month to water. Second point is the more water faster it grows, I work a lot and hate mowing. I guess I'm lazy on my days off also but that's a different reason.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree and I live in Yukon. I heard something about the Prez signing something allowing Lake Thunderbird to take water from Lake Atoka.

imasoonerfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the watering ban and that includes the golf courses that pull water directly from the lake. Just because it is not treated does not mean that it is not water that can be used to drink.

I live 1/2 mile from Hefner and the bank grows every day. Hoping for some serious rain soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom