Car port Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One suggestion. Be there the day they arrive to install. If it’s an open aired carport, try to locate it where the direct North and South winds will hit from the sides. And the important part is, have 4 7 ft T-Post and a Post Driver handy. When they lay down the bottom 3x3 galvanized bottom plates. Drive the T-Post in about half way down. Get out of their way and let em build it. Last one we had was 24 wide by 20 deep. It $795, and I went to Indaco Metals in Shawnee and bought sheets to finish out both sides. After they erected, I welded plates to the T- Post and 4 corner legs. It will not move. As all the install is 2-3 ft of rebar with a nut welded on top of the rebar.

I have also seen guys use Trailer House Anchors at each corner too. T- Posts are a cheaper option.

One last thing, they had this one up in less than a hour.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Draw out property on a grid. Take it to building permit office. They will issue permit or deny.

IF you have pics of area, the structure you are installing, name of company installing; the process will go smoother.
I got in touch with the building inspector today. Where I want to put a carport is within the utility/electrical service area. Anything built in those areas are encroachments. Looking at my Plat survey drawing there are seven encroachments on my lot now. Including 4'8" of my house and one by 30' of stone wall. Why would one more really matter? This is one of the things about living in town that sucks.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats one of the problems i hate with owning a lot in city limits they can encroach on you and force you to maintain the grounds but your not allow to encroach on them but you still have to pay taxes and maintain that section and they can come in an destroy it without notice or repairing it back to the way you had it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was very pleasantly surprised there were no permits required for the building we put up. Nothing. And there are no required permits to do any electrical, either. The best part of that is the assessors office won't know until they actually drive out this way and do a visual inspection of the property to see if anything's changed. And you have to look really close to see that building in the summer because it's behind a huge pecan tree. I might get away without an increase on my property taxes for a year or two.

In Colorado you had to have a permit to do anything. Even some repairs, like decks. Need to replace a railing or some decking? Permit. What a PITA.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we were first looking into the building I spoke with some guy at the county and told him we were going to put up a new metal barn/shop. I asked what kind of permits we needed. He looked at me like I just landed here from Mars and said, "Permit for what?"

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how is this a thing? I mean it’s awesome. But wow!
The counties in Oklahoma don't have code enforcement departments to issue permits or citations or do inspections, so if you're not inside the city limits of a city or town, following building codes is strictly voluntary. It's best that you do follow the relevant building codes if you want an insurance company to write a policy on it, though.

ETA: some smaller towns also don't have permitting processes. My brother's place is inside the city limits of a small town that doesn't have a permitting process or building inspectors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was very pleasantly surprised there were no permits required for the building we put up. Nothing. And there are no required permits to do any electrical, either. The best part of that is the assessors office won't know until they actually drive out this way and do a visual inspection of the property to see if anything's changed. And you have to look really close to see that building in the summer because it's behind a huge pecan tree. I might get away without an increase on my property taxes for a year or two.

In Colorado you had to have a permit to do anything. Even some repairs, like decks. Need to replace a railing or some decking? Permit. What a PITA.
I live in Osage County. We don’t need a permit to do squat other than commercial.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. That still just seems crazy to me. I’m in Rogers county. I know a lot of stuff requires permits. But again, I’m barely within city limits. I’d be curious what my neighbors would require since they’re just outside. I remember taking to a builder in Portland and one of his houses he was building in the city cost $35,000 JUST TO PAY PERMIT FEES!!!!!! So you can understand my shock when you say some places it’s not a thing 😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom