Car port Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The counties in Oklahoma don't have code enforcement departments to issue permits or citations or do inspections, so if you're not inside the city limits of a city or town, following building codes is strictly voluntary. It's best that you do follow the relevant building codes if you want an insurance company to write a policy on it, though.

ETA: some smaller towns also don't have permitting processes. My brother's place is inside the city limits of a small town that doesn't have a permitting process or building inspectors.

Erroneous info, for example Oklahoma County. It adopted Okc Code Enforcement and Oklahoma County Permits and Inspections are required. I believe the larger Cities in varying Counties adopted the City Codes and are enforcing them County wide. Oklahoma County was the first to adopt such a change.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got in touch with the building inspector today. Where I want to put a carport is within the utility/electrical service area. Anything built in those areas are encroachments. Looking at my Plat survey drawing there are seven encroachments on my lot now. Including 4'8" of my house and one by 30' of stone wall. Why would one more really matter? This is one of the things about living in town that sucks.
a lot of people take the easement. i was told if you build on it and they need through for some reason they can whack out your structure. that being said i know the electric co was willing to work around barn in my easement.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also as to some other comments if a county inspector doesn't cover your area you are required to call the state inspector. no permit required all fine till they happen by and you get caught! could be a slim chance never know.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Permits are required for one purpose only; $$$$$

PAY to do what you want on YOUR property, then more importantly, reassess valuation for taxes on upgrades.

We had a chain link fence. Neighbors on both sides wanted a cedar fence. I offered to share cost with neighbor on east side. My fence on west side was 4" inside property line. When fence was put up (previous owner, I bought house with fence); neighbor had no fence and refused to share cost. He never bothered to inform me of his desire for a fence. His other neighbor had same discussion, when he had chain link installed, years before.
Both neighbors obtained permits. West side put up fence on the property line.
Tax assessor came by and raised MY valuation $7000, on less than $500 of fencing. I challenged the change. Assessor stated "privacy fence"
I countered with "side fence" neighbor permitted. I had chain link, front and back were not "privacy". Judge agreed and canceled the increase.
3 years later, west side neighbor sold. I took down front, chain link gate and put up 4' of cedar fence with gate. (We had a house fire, 7 years earlier. Had to have permits to rebuild. The permits were tacked to garage wall, never closed out, after final inspection)
I received another $7000 increase on reevaluation for improvement.
I challenged again, not a privacy fence, back fence was chain link. Assessor countered, open field in back and failure to permit. I presented my permit, stating Assessor's failure to close. Judge took reevaluation off and declared no failure to permit. Assessor was livid, but failed to close permit! The next Spring, I built on a den. Didn't get a permit or an upgrade evaluation.

They built the box, I figure out how to survive in their box.

The only permit required here, when we moved to Okla, was building a new house. Got a new City Manager, 10 years ago, from New Yawk. Got more permit requirements than Carter has peanuts, now.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Permits are required for one purpose only; $$$$$

PAY to do what you want on YOUR property, then more importantly, reassess valuation for taxes on upgrades.

We had a chain link fence. Neighbors on both sides wanted a cedar fence. I offered to share cost with neighbor on east side. My fence on west side was 4" inside property line. When fence was put up (previous owner, I bought house with fence); neighbor had no fence and refused to share cost. He never bothered to inform me of his desire for a fence. His other neighbor had same discussion, when he had chain link installed, years before.
Both neighbors obtained permits. West side put up fence on the property line.
Tax assessor came by and raised MY valuation $7000, on less than $500 of fencing. I challenged the change. Assessor stated "privacy fence"
I countered with "side fence" neighbor permitted. I had chain link, front and back were not "privacy". Judge agreed and canceled the increase.
3 years later, west side neighbor sold. I took down front, chain link gate and put up 4' of cedar fence with gate. (We had a house fire, 7 years earlier. Had to have permits to rebuild. The permits were tacked to garage wall, never closed out, after final inspection)
I received another $7000 increase on reevaluation for improvement.
I challenged again, not a privacy fence, back fence was chain link. Assessor countered, open field in back and failure to permit. I presented my permit, stating Assessor's failure to close. Judge took reevaluation off and declared no failure to permit. Assessor was livid, but failed to close permit! The next Spring, I built on a den. Didn't get a permit or an upgrade evaluation.

They built the box, I figure out how to survive in their box.

The only permit required here, when we moved to Okla, was building a new house. Got a new City Manager, 10 years ago, from New Yawk. Got more permit requirements than Carter has peanuts, now.
It's crazy they can do as they please it seams.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand certain codes and building requirements are, generally, for safety. Because Lord knows no one ever does anything stupid when building.

But, yeah...they always take it to the extreme and that's the frustrating part.

I had a new roof installed on my Colorado house. Of course it had to have a county permit, which the contractor got. County inspector came out at 2 different stages of completion to sign off before work could continue. I wasn't present for either so I don't know what he did other than initial the block on the permit. When he came out to do the final inspection he looked at the roof of our raised ranch type house from the parking apron, said it looked good, and signed off. I complained that he didn't get on the roof and inspect the work. He said he wasn't allowed to do that by county safety rules. No climbing on ladders.

WTF is the point of having an inspector if they aren't going to actually inspect? It's money. That's all it is. I do believe the codes are generally written for safety. I also believe permits and inspections are NOT about ensuring codes are followed. They're about raising money.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They just finished mine a few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier. It's got a lot of upgrades and it's more than just a carport, but they did a great job.

View attachment 407792
Built similar structures on several of our properties, except use twin 40ft shipping containers (four total) on each side (substitute roll-up doors for stock swing doors) with stick built center structure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom