Carry rotation...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You hear a lot about carry rotation and I know some prefer to have all of their guns of the same platform (i.e. all Glocks, revolvers, 1911's etc).

What is your rotation and what is your preference regarding platform?

BC

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really have a rotation, seeing as how I only have a Glock 30.

Were I to get a different handgun, it wouldn't be concidered a carry piece unless it was a Glock. This is quite simply because I'm am SO used to the Glock platform I wouldn't want to worry at all about re-learning on a new platform.

I have thousands upon thousands of trigger pulls (live and dry fire) with that Glock, and it would take a very long time to override that muscle memory to the point I would feel confortable carrying it.

Quite simply, by sticking to my G30 (or at least another Glock), everything is more familiar, and therefore more comfortable and simple.

SoonerShots

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rotate between two weapons, S&W 642 38spl and a Glock 27 subcompact both are crimson trace laser equipped. It depends on what I’m wearing that drives my decision on which to carry. I practice with each of them about once a week.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W 642 most days, with a Beretta 92G if clothing allows and I feel like carrying a bigger gun. Both are similar enough (DA first shot, no manual safety) that i can easily switch between them.

I recently considered purchasing a 1911 for carry, but after shooting one at the range and forgetting about the safety half the time decided that maybe it wasn't such a good idea. It is not a good feeling to pull the trigger and nothing happen.

redleg45

Marksman
Reaction score
I normally carry a 1911, size dependent on weather and clothing. Always have a Beretta Tomcat in the pocket. Have been known to carry a S&W 4" .357 though, either a K or L frame. Doesn't matter as long as you are confortable with the choice.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well Todd Green said it best.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2320

Tam at View From The Porch strikes a chord with her recent post entitled “If this is Tuesday, I must be carrying the Luger…”

The whole concept of a “CCW rotation” has never made any sense to me.

.45 in the winter, 9mm in the summer? You’ve clearly been sleeping during the past 20 years of ammunition development.
snubbie .38 in the summer, Desert Eagle in the winter? You must live someplace where indoor heating hasn’t been discovered yet.
1911 most days but LCP when you feel like wearing tight jeans? Don’t. Wear. Tight. Jeans.
You wear your P228 when you’re wearing brown shoes because you have a brown holster for it, but your G19 when wearing black shoes because you have a black holster for that? Go chew on a chicken bone.
Certainly there are circumstances which might dictate against carrying your normal everyday handgun of choice. Having a smaller, lighter gun for those occasions is understandable. But it should be something you do out of necessity. Choose a suitable gun of suitable size, shootability, and power and then learn to work your habits and wardrobe around that gun. A pistol isn’t jewelry. Don’t be a SIMP!

Train hard & stay safe! ToddG

Latest posts

Top Bottom