Carrying a shotgun in your truck question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so with a CCW, you can conceal a rifle/shotgun as long as a round isnt chambered, correct? without CCW, it must be visible and with unchambered round, correct?

i know if you dont have CCW, a pistol must be unloaded (mag free) and in plain view or in a gun case. or at least thats what i was told from an instructor.

CCW doesn't apply to long guns. I have a ticket from Kansas to prove it.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CCW doesn't apply to long guns. I have a ticket from Kansas to prove it.

That may very well be the case in Ks, but not in OK.

Ok, in Oklahoma, a loaded and visible shotgun in your vehicle. Legal or illegal?

With CCL, yes but not chamber loaded. Without, the gun can be carried, but must be unloaded.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This should clear this up.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles
FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm
TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok. so with CCL, you can carry a loaded, but unchambered shotgun in your vehicle, right?
without CCL, it must be unloaded, mag free right?

sorry, but my reading comprehension isnt that great and i want to make damn sure i know the rules.

Ok, here is the deal. Nobody is going to put themselves on the line for saying what is right or wrong. They will state the regulation, and quote it. There are grey areas in every regulation.
The best advise I can give you is to take the regs to your county prosecutor and ask them. Individual law enforcement officers may have different interpretations of the law, but its the DA that will prosecute.

I can tell you from personal experience, that one LEO will have a different opinion from another. My company puts on safety meetings every month and both times when a LEO was invited to speak about driving safety, and opened up the floor to questions, somebody would ask about "what is legal when I'm driving" and one officer gave the correct response, and the other did not.......according to the regs as I understand them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom