Cartridge conversion revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was poking around online and found the Uberti 1851 and 1860 Richards-Mason revolvers. For anybody that hasn't heard of them, they're basically reproductions of the cap and ball revolvers that Colt converted for early metallic cartridges back in the day, and they look really cool.

Anybody have any first hand experience with something like this? They look like a lot of fun, and would give me an excuse to load for a new caliber. I shoot at Happy Hollow mostly, and can only do so much with an AK when regulated to one shot every few seconds.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of cowboy action shooters sport them.
I had one that was a piece of work, good work that is.
Pretty faithful reproductions of reasonable quality.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool period of history here and I'm fairly up on the conversion guns of that period. You may also want to look at the 1872 Colt, which looks like a black powder revolver but was designed from the ground up to run cartridge ammo. Cimarron stocks some nice ones and they hand-pick their guns from Uberti. I've got a '51 Navy conversion in 38 spl that is marked Navy Arms so it is most likely a Pietta and it is one of my favorite guns. Have others too.

Even been doing some silly talk with Super Dave about converting a Paterson copy to .38 S&W. Crazy talk, I tell ya!

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and thank you for the info on the '72. I hadn't realized that colt actually made an open top cartridge revolver. I'm leaning towards a 7.5" '72 in .38 with a navy grip.

Good stuff!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and thank you for the info on the '72. I hadn't realized that colt actually made an open top cartridge revolver. I'm leaning towards a 7.5" '72 in .38 with a navy grip.

Good stuff!

Sports World sometimes has them in stock. A couple months back they had a '72 in .38 with the 4 3/4" barrel. Good looking gun. I have that same gun but in 45.

Another very cool combo is a '58 Remington with the Kirst conversion cylinder in 45. I have one of those too. Shoot black powder, change cylinders and run cartridge ammo.

Check out Buffalo Arms too. They have some cool stuff and if you want, lemme know and we can go out to Red Castle and play with some of these toys. You can even shoot a Colt Paterson! (of course it's a reproduction)

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent! Buffalo Arms is actually the place I was looking at online, (get my 7.5 French there), and would very much enjoy checking out some of your historical stuff. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom