Cartridge length, COL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I measure mine from the ogive so there is no variation. However, if you're measuring from the tip of the bullet you're gonna see some variation. If you're using a magazine you may have an issue if you are loading to mag length--- otherwise the ogive (where the bullet contacts the lands) gives you a better consistency.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I measure mine from the ogive so there is no variation. However, if you're measuring from the tip of the bullet you're gonna see some variation. If you're using a magazine you may have an issue if you are loading to mag length--- otherwise the ogive (where the bullet contacts the lands) gives you a better consistency.

My 9mm rounds vary by .006"-.007" measuring to the tip. I am going to try the single stage tomorrow and compare.
I think plate flexing on the progressive is the problem.

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have found the Amax series really helps on COL. The HP type are quite ahhh flexible in their tips.

The RCBS comp dies are sweet but I load very consistent ammo on regular Lee dies.

Oh heavy or thick necked brass cases, along with those that are a bit work hardened, can throw the seating depth around a bit. For thicker necks a slight campher inside the case neck helps. Blackhills and Winchester brass loads pretty slick even after a few times.

Good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom