Any Wildcatters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested if any you made your own Wildcat cartridge and if so what was it and what was the intention and how did it work out? What was the performance?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not invented any wildcats but they are pretty cool sometimes.

I did develop a dandy load for .308 that is way sub sonic and uses 100 gr cast powder coated bullet.
664 FPS from an 18" barrel.
Very easy to make silent to the point of only hearing what it hits against.

The best part about this load is you DO NOT need to resize the brass case.
NO neck sizing or anything.
Brass should last forever.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t say that I’ve developed any wildcat rounds however I have reverse engineered two different cartridges. The process starts with a chamber casting and slugging the bore. From there I go through my COTW book looking for likely parent cases. Next it’s off to CH4D for custom dies, then once I have a case made it’s time for measuring the case volume and running load calculations with potential powder/projectile combinations. About all this does is gives me a good educated guess on potential candidates. After that it’s time for real-world testing. Once I start zeroing in on a good candidate I have custom bullet molds cut…usually from Accurate Mold.

These are for an 8mm German combo gun made in 1891 using a 9.3X72r as a parent case. That’s a 30-06 on the bottom for reference.
IMG_6600.jpeg

And this is for a Holland & Holland 32 Cal 1907 Rook Rifle using a 32-20 for the parent case. Don’t have a pic of one loaded but here’s the case (right) next to a 32-20. That’s one weird shoulder.

IMG_0012.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom