Case Stuck in Seating Die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Can't beat an offer like that!

On a side note, I've (with safety glasses and not having my face over the press) used the deprimer/sizer die to deprime live primers without incident. Just went very slow.

So thinking about it, I would run a dowel into the case mouth, and if it's close to the size of the case mouth (.30), then it is WAY too big to fit into the primer hole, which is like .1 diameter or smaller. There should be practically no way to detonate the primer using this method, unless the primer strikes something when it falls out of the die.

On that note, put a rag or something under the shell/die when removing.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The primer size is going to be .205 dia. and yes a 1/4" (.250" dia) would fit and not hit the primer. Unless something really REALLY strange happens that primer is not going off. A rag or something underneath would not hurt anything either.

I'm real curious as to how you stuck a case in the seater die? Later,

Kirk

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just a 4 oz bottle of Liquid lanolin like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846 (you can ONLY use liquid lanolin) and 16 to 20 oz of very high % alcohol. The health food store will have the lanolin and if you have trouble finding 97 or 99 percent alcohol you can use HEET from the auto parts shop. It is the slickest stuff I have ever used

I got the info from technitium-99. He has been using this for a while with great success. It approximates the dillon spray lube. I mixed about two ounces of liquid lanolin which I got from the local health food store at I-240 and Penn, (Less than $7.00 for a 4 ounce bottle) with a spray bottle (from Big-Lots ) full of 97% Isopropol Alcohol from Wal-Mart. I had been hand lubing the cases before dumping them in my Dillon casefeeder, and Mitch at J&K Bullet Casters uses the dillon lube before dumping cases in his case feeder. The lube I normally use is Imperial Sizing Die wax, and I have way less stuck cases with it than anything else I have used. So far this mix is working fine for me, I haven't tried it with 30-06 cases yet, but if it works on them, it will work on anything. I place the cases in a flat container and spray with the mixture as I roll and shake them to distribute the lube. It dries very quickly and leaves the case with enough lube to resize with little effort. I'll keep you updated on any issues I find with it. Blitzfike

Thank you, gents! I know what I will be trying this week-end!

Latest posts

Top Bottom