Cat Deterrent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short story..

Live in OKC and am getting feed up with the stray cats in the neighborhood turning my front and rear flower beds into their own personal litter boxes.
Drives my dog insane and me also.

Any suggestions??? short of ..............

thanks

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooooohhh man, I didn't think the illegal advice would come out this quick. Damn.

Cover your flower beds with aluminum foil. :D Stake it down. They can't stand walking on it. We have some on our microwave so our cat doesn't use it as a springboard up onto the top of the cabinets, also used it around the Christmas trees this year and for the FIRST TIME EVAR the stupid little hairballs stayed out of my trees!

Not too practical in large amounts outdoors, and it's unsightly, too. Sorry... I don't know any other tricks.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would need sheets of foil. Wife wouldn't go for that. Live trap is a good idea but when you take them to the city, they just treat them and let them loose in the same neighborhood three to five days later.

Was surprised to see the illegal/cruel advice come out this fast also.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you can buy some mountain lion urine on Amazon and sprinkle it in the flower beds??? Haha. Hell, I dunno, you can find almost anything else on the 'net, I'd imagine there's someone out there selling that, too.

I don't wanna be the one trying to catheterize a mountain lion, though!

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get some sweetgum balls and use it like mulch. Spread your old coffee grinds and tea in the garden beds. When I lived in the city I would live trap and let the nice ones go.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Land mines?

Before we moved, we had a huge car problem in the neighborhood. There were at least 3 of us live trapping the stray cats and it didn't even put a dent in the problem. Try a Google search on cat repellent. Might be some home remedy that would work.

www.infinityok.net

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I feel your pain. Had the problem for a long time - a lady a few houses down enjoyed feeding feral cats, but apparently didn't feel the need to make litter boxes available for them.

From the earlier "illegal advice" comment I guess it depends on where you live, so you might need to check with your local Animal Control. Mine told me to live trap them and call to have them picked up, so that's what I did. It's a pain in the wazoo since you'll often have a yowling cat in the trap overnight until the Animal Control office opens and an officer comes out the next day.

Other things tried:
They make an electronic ultrasonic deterrent that works for some cats. Others simply ignore it.
Red Fox Urine will keep most of them away, but it's short lived.
Moth balls/crystals work well and last longer, but may be unhealthy for the cats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom