Change of bait pays off a little

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trapping this one sounder of pigs has been giving me fits now for a while. Not very big, there are only a dozen or so in the group, but they have just not been interested in anything I've thrown out. Had been using plain corn, then had to switch to diesel corn to keep the deer out. Caught four with diesel corn but then nothing. I threw some soured corn at them and they avoid it like the plague. I have NEVER had luck with soured corn, and not sure why. I hear so many other people that use it regularly with luck, but I never have. Last night I mixed up bout three gallons of corn, 5 or 6 packs of kool-aid, and half a sack of sugar and just a little water. Mixed it up where it was just a big sticky mess, but not watery at all. Not sure if it was attributed to the bait or not, but checked traps this morning and had this little turd in there. Little disappointed to only have one, but I'll take what I can get.

[Broken External Image]

On a side note, the pigs that I thought I had run off earlier this week are still there! Drove by last night and there were bout 20 of them out in the open. The wind was bad for a stalk and it was pretty close to dark, so I didn't bother them. I will be headed back tonight though!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any place in (reasonably) central OK to hunt pigs on public land? I had a private spot in southern OK, but the owner moved away. I need my BBQ fix!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not many WMA's in central Oklahoma to start with. Lexington is the only one that comes to mind, and I'm not even sure there are any hogs around there. Head south to Sulphur and there is Chickasaw NRA. I am pretty sure there are hogs there, even though they are not listed as a game species of interest on the ODWC website. Other than that... I can't help you. Come south, we've got plenty for all!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i tried love management area ,,had my trap set and nothing ...
I drive wherever i need to to put some hog meat in the freezer...

heading south did not do well for me...maybe i need to go more east or west :scratch:.

I think the coyotees are extra thick.. and i need to thin some out.

That is a nice looking bugger in the trap

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out last night and like clockwork, found one of the sets of pigs I've been shootin up. Managed to knock down this sow, who quickly ran for the thicket.
[Broken External Image]

Went and checked the traps this morning and got a nice sow and 6 lil uns. They are so little they still have their little stripes! I'm gonna try to make a pet out of one, but I think ya'll know how that usually goes. Or I may just stick the whole bunch of them on a shish kabob. There was also 7 more of her litter hanging outside the trap but I didn't notice them when I drove up. She got up and was moving, then I saw that they were outside and not inside the trap and they walked off to the brush line and stopped. Unfortunately, I didn't have the scatter gun in the truck, they could have all been taken out with one shot. I just eased on out and I'm sure they'll come back to their mama as soon as I leave. I will make sure to have it when I go back this afternoon to load up the pigs.

[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you usually do with them lil ones? I figure thems would probably be the best eatin.. Have ur own personal roasted pig for urself.. Do you sell them?

Kill em. Not that I like killing a baby animal like that, it is kinda hard to pull the trigger. But then all I have to do is look at the damage in the pasture and it makes the killing a little easier. Yeah I sometimes sell the bigger ones when I get a load, anything under 75lbs ain't worth messin with. They get a blindfold and a cigarette.

Latest posts

Top Bottom