Charity money not going to disabled vets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/07/us/veterans-charity-fraud/index.html

Birmingham, Alabama (CNN) -- A national charity that vows to help disabled veterans and their families has spent tens of millions on marketing services, all the while doling out massive amounts of candy, hand sanitizer bottles and many other unnecessary items to veteran aid groups, according to a CNN investigation.
The Disabled National Veterans Foundation, based in Washington, D.C., and founded in 2007, received about $55.9 million in donations since it began operations in 2007, according to publicly available IRS 990 forms.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Individual charity is the best charity. Otherwise you may may be manipulated or even defrauded. You think United Way etc. is good? - I don't. Give to people in need as your heart moves you, not to advertising drives.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In doing some disaster relief work, I found the Salvation Army would try to provide a lot more "real" help where it is needed than the Red Cross. To me the Red Cross has turned into just another big Government agency with the same methods and attitudes.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In doing some disaster relief work, I found the Salvation Army would try to provide a lot more "real" help where it is needed than the Red Cross. To me the Red Cross has turned into just another big Government agency with the same methods and attitudes.

From my experiences, the Red Cross must spend at least half their budget catering lunches to their execs during times of crisis.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently donated to Wounded Warrior Project but I have to admit I've never tried to look up their financials. I just did it because it sure seemed like they are true believers in their cause.

Does anyone know a place where you can see detailed information on how much of a charity's money actually ends up going towards useful and necessary things for the intended cause?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it would be nice if we could start a thread that named charity's that members knew or had a hand in and could vouch for how they spent their money. My wife I always try to donate something but about the only thing she thinks is not crooked is animal shelters or the Salvation Army, and she doesn't have a whole lotta faith in most animal shelters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom