Cherokee County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iSolunar

New to the site!
Reaction score
I will be heading up from Texas to Cherokee County in NE Ok to do some deer hunting near the Illinois River next week. Anybody seeing having any success in that area?

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont hunt that far north but down here by burnt cabin state park, an area that normally sounds like an army shooting range on opening day, i heard only 3 shots this morning and two this afternoon. Things arent looking too good and the weather is only getting worse. Colder good wind and rain not so good

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if you will be hunting public or private but there is still a ton of deer in this county. You should see lots of deer but the trophy deer are few and far between here. Let me know how you do.

iSolunar

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks, OKHunter. I'll be on 800 acres of private land in the hills just across the Baron Fork from Welling.

I've hunted in West Texas all my life and this is my first time to be hunting in timber. Any suggestions?

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live right by the Baron Fork at welling and there are lots of deer in that area. If you can find an area that still has acorns try and hunt that. If you can find where the deer are crossing that creek can also be productive. Without actually seeing the property that is about the best I can do. You shouldn't have any problem seeing deer though. There are alot in that area. Is there anyone else hunting the property? If not the deer probably haven't been pressured much which will be a big plus. Let me know how you do.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom