Stockyards On Short List For OKC Jail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the land the Airport owns and rejected the offer. Doesnt make much sense to me to put it there to me, maybe I've seen too many movies, but all an escapee would have to do is climb up into the landing gear and get a free ride out of here.

As far as not being able to put it near a school, that eliminates almost all options in OKC. Theres at least one every mile.
Nope, the Airport land was on 54th and Macarthur this new proposed location is on SW 74th and Rockwell. There’s only 3 sites on the short list; the current location, Stockyards, and the new one I mentioned.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SE corner at 74th & Rockwell is the 160 acres that my great-grandfather claimed in the 1889 land run. It is now owned by the airport trust. Wonder if that's the new proposed location

JamesBell

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up to 192 acres of land located between S Newcastle Road and SW 54 offered for sale by the Oklahoma City Airport Trust (though, Oklahoma City's Airport Trust on Dec. 21 rejected an offer from Oklahoma County to buy a portion of that land for $2.5 million).
That land is no longer a possibility. The airport trust and the FAA won’t allow the jail to be built there, the purpose of any development will have to be related to aviation. They did add a new property close to the same location- SW 74th and Rockwell. There has been an attempt to develop that land in the recent past and Hobby Lobby strongly opposed it. I’d assume they’d again pull out all the stops to keep cows on that pasture. I’m not sure why they care, it is a couple miles south of their complex. But since I live a mile south of this site I’m all in for anyone opposing it. We live out there because we like open spaces. Seeing cows instead of high rises is why the area is desirable. Add in that building the jail in the corner of the county is asinine- why make transport times as long as possible for the other corner of the county?- and the whole thing just seems silly.

Put the thing next to the courthouse, like it should be. I don’t know why they are trying so hard to put it someplace other than where it belongs.

JamesBell

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SE corner at 74th & Rockwell is the 160 acres that my great-grandfather claimed in the 1889 land run. It is now owned by the airport trust. Wonder if that's the new proposed location
It is the SW corner. I’m surprised the SE corner is owned by the airport trust though… maybe that’s why there aren’t any structures out there- but there’s a decent little herd of beef cattle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom