Chevy 1500 Transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you having issues now? Is it shifting funny or bad? Drop in gas mileage? Sounds like you like the truck. Personally if I needed a major repair or thought something was wrong I'd trade it in. Not the best timing with used vehicle prices at an all time high. Advantage of trading it in now is the "low" mileage. Under 100K miles dealerships and private buyers still can get financing or offer fairly easily. Many expect that buys may be had in 2024 because repo's and ability to qualify are increasing.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the deal. I have a 2011 Chevy 1500 single cab short bed 4x4 that I use as a run around truck and a street legal UTV, and it has just shy of 80k on it. As far as I know, there’s nothing currently wrong with it, but I had a guy tell me that many of these trucks have transmission issues between 80-90k that will cost $4000+/- to repair. I’m not a mechanic and don’t pretend to be so fixing something like that myself isn’t happening.

How common are these transmission problems this guy was talking about?

According to KBB, the truck is worth about $13k, and I sure hate to have to put essentially a third of the value into a transmission repair.
I was once told the same except 80-100k about a certain Jeep vehicle. Right @ 103k the tranny went out...What I later learned was because the manufacturer discontinued the aux trans cooler for that model year. Once I replaced the transmission, I added an good sized aux trans cooler and ran it in line with the OEM internal radiator trans cooler. That thing ran without issue after that.

Basically, if nothing else concerning you about the truck, I'd probably keep it and just add a better cooler and maybe a better vent-ribbed tranny pan and it will solve the issue.

jtmcglothin

You’ve got a fren in me
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a 4l60e I believe, I have the same one in my 2007 Silverado. No issues with mine and it’s a 5.3 with 35s and a 6” lift. Still shifts smooth with 130k on the clock so you should be fine. The biggest issue with these trucks is there’s no drain plug for the transmission fluid so it never gets changed which leads to premature failure. As mentioned earlier, it’s definitely a good idea to drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a 4.3 so it should last a lot longer than the same transmission behind a 5.3. As Okie said, drive it until it breaks or starts acting up. When/if it does go out, you can get a rebuilt one with a 3-year warranty for $2500 or a used one for $800.
I had a good experience with a used tranny...for my beater I got a junkyard trans w/88k on it for 600 bux and then paid 550 to have it installed and added cooler and it has another 80k on it since being installed and runs good. I've changed the pan fluid and filter once or twice since it was installed so that probably helps.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you having issues now? Is it shifting funny or bad? Drop in gas mileage? Sounds like you like the truck. Personally if I needed a major repair or thought something was wrong I'd trade it in. Not the best timing with used vehicle prices at an all time high. Advantage of trading it in now is the "low" mileage. Under 100K miles dealerships and private buyers still can get financing or offer fairly easily. Many expect that buys may be had in 2024 because repo's and ability to qualify are increasing.
I can honestly say that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with this truck, and I do like it. When I got it back from my son, it needed tires and temp sensors replaced, but it runs and shifts as good as new.
Since I’m now paying out of state tuition at OU, I don’t need a $4k+/- surprise expense on an “extra” truck, so that’s what’s got me concerned about a possible transmission issue.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can honestly say that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with this truck, and I do like it. When I got it back from my son, it needed tires and temp sensors replaced, but it runs and shifts as good as new.
Since I’m now paying out of state tuition at OU, I don’t need a $4k+/- surprise expense on an “extra” truck, so that’s what’s got me concerned about a possible transmission issue.

I get that. It seems like 90% of the vehicles on the road now are ticking expense bombs waiting to go off. I suspect I will be keeping my car a while, new ones are out of sight price wise. Be careful about changing transmission fluid though. Sometimes changing the fluid on higher mileage vehicles can be bad as well and then it will start to have issues, since the dirt in it are actually helping it to run properly. Only advice I'd have is to ask people that have done it around 80K miles. I have heard changing it every 30K miles is good, while beyond that is debatable. Not trying to knock those that have suggested it. I'd like to hear how often they've done a flush and fill and when they did the first one.

OkdRooster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 4L60e seemed fairly reliable Not to say I never saw one fail.
Over heating the trans/fluid due to heavy towing or abusive driving habits will do in any transmission.

For maintenance I personally prefer a pan drop, new filter/screen and new fluid at 50k interval. So I can inspect the pan for sediment .
A flush ok too if its done at same intervals.

Waiting till 100 k runs the chance of silt/debris from clutch plates ect lodging in the valve valve body or shift solenoids.
Never changing fluid is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom