Chevy 1500 Transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the deal. I have a 2011 Chevy 1500 single cab short bed 4x4 that I use as a run around truck and a street legal UTV, and it has just shy of 80k on it. As far as I know, there’s nothing currently wrong with it, but I had a guy tell me that many of these trucks have transmission issues between 80-90k that will cost $4000+/- to repair. I’m not a mechanic and don’t pretend to be so fixing something like that myself isn’t happening.

How common are these transmission problems this guy was talking about?

According to KBB, the truck is worth about $13k, and I sure hate to have to put essentially a third of the value into a transmission repair.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend had his rebuilt around that mileage 2012 5.3 chevy truck 4x4 he was always towing or full throttle racing with it.
Never changed his fluid in it though.
I think he has 112,000 miles on it now and I replaced the whole rearend in it.
Carrier broke.
Never changed fluids in it either and that carrier is the same as what is in some cars. 10 bolt.

If you do not drive it like you stole it you will probably get more miles than my buddy.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this truck for my oldest son in 2012 IIRC with 5300 miles on it, and he drove it until 2020. It had 51k on it when I got it back, and as I said, it now has basically 80k. It’s got the 4.3l v6 motor and is the most fuel efficient truck I own. It’s the “work truck” package with roll up windows, manual locks, and rubber floor mats, and I’ve intended to keep to literally use as a street legal UTV since I couldn’t buy a new Polaris or Canam side by side for what it’s worth.
Thanks for the input, and I’m sure y’all are right that I just need to keep driving it and quit looking for problems where there are none.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it has a 6L80, it’s a $3200-4500 repair, and according to the guy who did mine, it’s not a matter of “if” it’s a matter of “when”. I’ve heard that from several shops, and I have seen it with other owners. I have a 2015 4x4 with the 5.3. Pretty much bone stock, had the engine out and torn down to a short block already. Went with slightly better than stock replacement parts from TSP putting it back together. Did that at 87k. When I hit 125k, my torque converter failed, and trashed the tranny. Supposedly the original torque converters are flawed from the factory, just like the AC condenser and the Displacement on demand system.

I had Ron Payton at Payton transmissions in Coyle do mine. $3800, one week turnaround, 100,000 mile/24 month warranty. Might have been 36 months. I’ll have to look at the paperwork. Took him 8 days rather than 7, but I’m not upset about it. My new tranny shifts a little odd sometimes, but I don’t know if it’s working out “how I drive” like some cars I have had or if it’s just breaking in, or what. I have jumped up to 18mpgs or better. Prior to this I was at 15mpgs everywhere. Coming back from hot springs this weekend I averaged 18-19mpgs doing 70-90 the entire way back.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it has a 6L80, it’s a $3200-4500 repair, and according to the guy who did mine, it’s not a matter of “if” it’s a matter of “when”. I’ve heard that from several shops, and I have seen it with other owners. I have a 2015 4x4 with the 5.3. Pretty much bone stock, had the engine out and torn down to a short block already. Went with slightly better than stock replacement parts from TSP putting it back together. Did that at 87k. When I hit 125k, my torque converter failed, and trashed the tranny. Supposedly the original torque converters are flawed from the factory, just like the AC condenser and the Displacement on demand system.

I had Ron Payton at Payton transmissions in Coyle do mine. $3800, one week turnaround, 100,000 mile/24 month warranty. Might have been 36 months. I’ll have to look at the paperwork. Took him 8 days rather than 7, but I’m not upset about it. My new tranny shifts a little odd sometimes, but I don’t know if it’s working out “how I drive” like some cars I have had or if it’s just breaking in, or what. I have jumped up to 18mpgs or better. Prior to this I was at 15mpgs everywhere. Coming back from hot springs this weekend I averaged 18-19mpgs doing 70-90 the entire way back.
I highly recommend Payton Transmissions. They are honest and do things right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom