Choice for CC ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for me the biggest problem with .45 is weight .. putting aside 9mm vs .45 as both are highly effective.
no matter how much firepower, it's useless if left at home and/or you cannot hit what you are aiming at.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, the 45 is better then the 9. Stopping power being at the top of the list. In most civilian cases you are not going to get in a long fire fight. I think statistics say you will fire only 3 rounds. My main carry is a LW Commander, with the growing chance of these Mall attacks I have started to carry a Sig M11 9mm. So bottom line is......6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other. Carry what you are more comfortable with and can shoot the best.
What is this stopping power you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is this stopping power you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't there supposedly a torso/chest/heart shot that produces sufficient impact damage with a hollow point to literally "stop" a person coming at you???
Or is THAT also a Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry" cinema-created falsehood?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Listen to Rod.......

"All other things being equal...." and they never are.
Sure, you can accumulate statistics, but statistics applied to a sample of ONE have a confidence factor of ZERO. (I teach this stuff)
The outcome on the ONE person you shoot is binary: either they stop or they don't.
And sometimes a person absorbs an entire magazine of .45 and has to be clubbed down to get the cuffs on.
The Hatcher experiments 100 years ago concluded a pistol bullet the size of an orange would guarantee one-shot stops, but not much else would.
I read the accounts of the Philippine uprising and the famous failures of the .38 pistols to stop Maori, but was surprised to learn rifle shots in the chest weren't stopping them either!
Sentries were advised to shoot them in the pelvis area with a rifle to try to knock them down before they could reach the sentry with their knives.

So what do I get from all this?
I carry a caliber generally used for defense in a gun I can shoot well, and am mentally prepared to shoot if necessary and keep shooting until the threat is stopped.
I also believe that none of the IDPA time is wasted.

posted via Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
A .45 FMJ traversing both lungs and the heart or aorta still allows a human time to run 40-60 feet before collapsing... I have direct experience with this only last week.

This is our "optimal kill-shot" on deer, but how many of them drop where they are shot? Not many....

Nothing short of a spine hit or penetrating headshot with massive damage is going to be guaranteed to cause instant stoppage.

Carry what you are more comfortable with and can shoot the best.

In the end, however, regardless of caliber, shot placement is the key.

^^^^^This x eleventy-billion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom