Choose your own adventure: Mosin edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walk in, break spring, what do?

• Stop being cheap and buy a new one

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Invoke the spirit of Bubba

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the right think to do, that Bubba version is NO BUENO

Yeah, I seen some cut offs that still left enough to use the rear barrel band spring that looked pretty nice (kinda reminded me of a 10/22), but I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep it original. I'll be sending honeybee the return postage tomorrow for the spring (Thanks honeybee!). Sorry to disappoint dave, lol. I almost did it before these guys talked some sense into me. Even so, once it's finished I'll still go troll the 7.62x54r.net forums. Those guys take these mosins WAY too seriously...

T

TheMcs

Never should have even refinished the stock. Leave the Mosin as-is. Sporterized/Bubba'ed Mosins are fugly in my opinion. Given that, it's your rifle, do what you want to it.
Personally I'll never modify an historic firearm in any way that cannot be undone.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Focus your inner bubba. It's what I did and my mosin ended up like this....

www.aestus.net_pics_mosin2.jpg

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
holy dead thread batman!

I ended up stripping the stock of all the russian sweat and vodka and cosmoline from over the years, sanded to a glass smooth surface, and then hit it with several coats of tung oil for a nice blonde look. Next I'd like to polish the bolt and get the sights straightened out (or put a scout scope on, haven't decided)

I'll never understand the Mosin purists. It's an $80 2x4 that just so happens to fire bullets, not like I was trashing a garand or something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom