Cigarette smoke as a deer attractant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it sounds nuts. BUT I have heard repeated stories of people smoking in their stand and they would look around and see a buck coming from downwind with his nose in the air sniffing. That can't be right can it? Has anyone ever heard this? :anyone:

Reaction score
I've heard it too. Evidently it doesn't bother young deer. I'll bet a wily old buck would steer clear though. My buddy arrowed a fawn (6 month old) one october from a tree stand right after smoking a cig - I can't remember the wind direction, but it was not directly in his favor. What deer HATE instinctually is the scent of human sweat - the urea or whatever other ingredients are in it. But as for human pee, poop, cig smoke, etc., it could either attract or be neutral to the young/un-pressured deer. In my understanding and belief.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with a guy that that swears he shot that he shot a huge 12 point while smoking a cigharette. He had the derr mounted and then he had a cigarette put in the deer's mouth to mark the occasion. Fact or fiction???? I dunno. All I know is what the guy told me. Another guy I met said his son in law went deer hunting with him; (for the first time ever), and while smoking in the stand had a 14 point walk in and follow the scent trail. He had pictures of the guy with the deer? I think it is just odd chance personally, but I hear that story alot.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw my old man drop a very old mature buck with a smoke hanging out of his mouth (dad, not the deer). The old deer was past its prime and had an old beat up chocolate rack. It wasn't pretty, but definately old. I used to give him a hard time and tell him he was spooking the deer with his cigarettes but quit after that. On a side note, we were hunting in an urban area that had numerous nearby roads with a lot of traffic. As a cover scent, we would stand behind the truck and cover ouselves with exhaust fumes. I thought that was crazy too until we walked up on a nice ten point with a doe while heading to our stands. I guess you do whatever necessary to blend into the environment you're hunting.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like WD40 to fish, it isnt an attractant, its a scent block. Now why a deer wouldnt be alarmed by cigarette smoke is beyond me...

Guess they cant read the Surgeon Generals warnings or something...

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if it bothers them, but, I've had deer come right up to me while smoking before feeling they were endanger and taking off. Once while I already had one on the ground. I was taking a break, smoking, and a young buck came within 5 yards of me.

On another occasion, I was visiting a guy up in Miami that raised deer, and while I was petting a very nice 10 point buck, a doe tried to get my cigarettes out of my back pocket. Had to shoo her away.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of my hunting buddies has NEVER shot a dear without a cig burning. I rode him hard when he fist started hunting about the importance of scent control and as much as I hate to admit it, he usually shoots a nicer dear than I do.

Thats something I'll share with you fellers, but I'd never say that in his company.

Latest posts

Top Bottom